Friday, January 22, 2010

Whelan/Welland and Fournier dit Larose families

I have been trying different approaches to work on the Whelan/Welland family. Knowing the history of this family might be helpful. The family is at Quebec City in the early 1800s and I know that Marie Emélie Whelan who was baptized 27 Jun 1843 at Notre-Dame is the daughter of Jean Thomas Whelan/Welland and that by the census he is born circa 1814. Jean Thomas Whelan married Emilie Fournier dite Larose (b c 1816 Quebec) were married 13 Jan 1835 at Notre-Dame, Quebec City. I have been lucky with Emilie as I found her parents to be Jean Baptiste Fournier dit Larose and Elisabeth Thibaut dite Labbé who married at Quebec city 10 Oct 1809.

I then found the parents of Jean Baptiste Fournier dit Larose to be Jérome Fournier dit Larose and Magdeleine Godin who also married at Quebec City 17 Jan 1786.

Magdeleine's parents were Thiery Gaudin and Marguerite Lefebvre who married 7 Jan 1755 at St Jean Baptiste, Les Ecureuils de Portneuf. Reading their marriage lines yielded parents as: Jean Gaudin and Geneviève François and Nicolas Lefebvre and Marguerite Godbout. Although World Connect suggests parents for all four of these people I shall work on this marriage as their suggestions seem to have parents a little older than I would have thought. I need to read the registers for this time period.

Going back to Jérome Fournier dit Larose I found his parents to be Emerie Fournier dit Larose and Marguerite Guenet and they married 14 Feb 1757 at Notre-Dame, Quebec City. I will continue working on the Fournier and Whelan/Welland lines today.

No comments: