Saturday, February 6, 2010

Blake and Routledge

I am finally back to looking at my family lines once again. I became distracted by an error in my Routledge family line on another tree where I have access on Ancestry. I decided to fix that for the individual and that got me started thinking about my Routledge lines once again.

My 2x great grandmother was Elizabeth Mary Ann Routledge daughter of Thomas Routledge and Elizabeth Routledge. Thomas was the son of Henry Routledge and Margaret Tweddle. Henry was the son of William Routledge and Grizzel Routledge. Elizabeth was the daughter of George Routledge and Grace Routledge. George was likely the son of George Routledge and Margaret Routledge. Grace was the daughter of Thomas Routledge and Mary Routledge. One can see the extent of the difficulty that I face with my Routledge lines. All of these families are from Bewcastle with the exception of the Tweddle line. They are from Lanercost. Occasionally marriages were at Lanercost instead of Bewcastle.

Lately I discovered that Grace Routledge and George Routledge were cousins because of a will by Archibald Forrester. They are also Oakshaw Routledge family along with Henry Routledge. The Oakshaw Routledge family married within their grouping and many of the marriages were first, second and third cousin marriages. I have not yet determined if this is accurate. The Oakshaw Routledge family was fairly large in the mid 1600s as is known from the 1604 Land Survey of Bewcastle and the 1641-42 Protestation Returns along with the Bewcastle quarters tax data.

I hadn't looked at the Dodgson Manuscript for a while and I have since acquired some new information on my Routledge lines. Looking at the Park Routledge family (known to be connected to my George/Grace Routledge line), I rather think that I have found a connection between the parents of these two along with several other Routledge lines. It would appear that George is descended from the Younger Oakshaw Routledge family that was at Todhills (he was born there). Thomas the father of Grace would appear to be a brother to the father of George. Hence they would be first cousins. Elizabeth their daughter was also considered an Oakshaw Routledge but she would at most be a second cousin or perhaps third to Thomas Routledge (son of Henry Routledge and Margaret Tweddle). I will continue to investigate the will with respect to the Dodgson Manuscript.

Carlisle Record Office Will of Archibald FORRESTER of Cleughside, Bewcastle [Bc] 1767, pg 63.
Grace Forrester, deceased poss. The mother of John Routledge
John Forrester, Wit
Adam Routledge s o Mary, Wid
George Routledge, of Oakshaw, Bc, father of 2 children
Grace Routledge, daughter of [d o ] Mary Routledge, Wid
Henry Routledge, s o Mary R*
Henry Routledge of Borderrigg, dec., father of 3 children
John Routledge s o Mary R*, Wid
John Routledge, my "sister's son, possibly s o Grace
Leondard Routledge of Oakshaw
Mary Routledge of Crossgreens or Strandsheads, Wid, mother of Grace, Mary, Adam, John & Henry
Mary Routledge, d o Mary, Wid
William Routledge of Oakshaw, deceased, father of William R*
William Routledge of Oakshaw s o late William Routledge
Francis Armstrong, Wit
Catherine Dowglass of Ash w o Thomas Douglas
Thomas Dowglass [sic Douglas] of Ash husband of Catherine
Catherine Henderson d o Robert & Helenor Henderson
Helenor Henderson wife of Robert and mother of Catherine
Robert Henderson husband of Helenor & father of Catherine
Alexander Kennedie of Cleughside, Friend husband of Sibella
Catherine Kennedie of Cleughside, d o Alexander
Elizabeth Kennedie of Cleughside
John Kennedie of Cleughside s o Alexander
Sibella Kennedie of Cleughside w o Alexander
William Kennedie of Cleughside s o Alexander

The Blake family has also returned to a high interest point. I have been discussing the yDNA study with Barrie Blake who has a wonderful set of pages on the Blake family

http://blakeheritage.synthasite.com/blake-family-dna-project.php

I admit my strong interest is in the DNA study and one individual who belongs to the same haplogroup and has the same unusual first 5 markers and then three more that match. The differences are in fast moving markers with the exception of one. Since this individual is likely separated from me by more than 7 generations and possibly is a descendant of the Wiltshire Blake family, I am really hopeful that he/she will have the markers extended to 67. The study has already shown the distinct Norfolk lines (2 with a known NPE) and then another English grouping (also found in Ireland) and perhaps this is the Richard Caddell line which underwent a name change in Ireland to Blake. There are a number of Irish lines and the origin of them is unknown although some of them could be the Galway Blake family. That they have fallen into neat categories (30 samples) is quite fascinating in itself.

Tomorrow I shall continue to look at the Routledge family.

No comments: