Saturday, January 8, 2011

Digital Frame

My digital frame proved to be a fascinating genealogical tool once again today. I have been watching the pictures flash by and one in particular was catching my eye and suddenly I realized that the woman on the right side of the image was the side view of my grandmother. I visited my grandmother very very often as a child probably several times a week until I was about 18 years old. Then I was off to University and my visits were somewhat wider spaced apart although we talked on the telephone quite a bit.

I have never found a picture of my Pincombe grandparents together. As I shift through my memories though I recall my grandmother mentioning that Aunt Martha had a picture of them together but can not remember the context yet. Sometimes such memories come back to me whilst I sleep. Perhaps one of these days that will happen but in the meantime I have compared a number of pictures that I have and for sure the woman on the right in the picture is my grandmother and I know that the man on the left of the four people is my Uncle Frank (he was both my Uncle and my cousin because he married my grandmother's sister but was my grandfather's first cousin).

The picture carries the date 1918 (in pencil on the lower white portion of the picture). The wedding of Francis Richard Pincombe marrying Ada Gertrude Buller was 17 December 1918 (my Uncle Frank and Aunt Ada whom I knew well as a small child). They farmed the original homestead of the Pincombe family.

This digital frame is proving to be a very interesting genealogical tool. It has already brought back several good memories that I had forgotten with respect to William Blake at Eastontown.

Interestingly the witnesses for the wedding were my Aunt May and my cousin David Henry Pincombe. David Henry Pincombe is quite distinctive - he was very very short (around five feet tall) and Aunt May, although she looked somewhat like my grandmother she had distinctive differences when I compared the pictures today. My grandfather is clean shaven which is deceptive and is wearing a business hat plus a tuxedo. However, the face is very reminiscent of younger pictures that I have of him. In this picture he is 46 years old and my grandmother is 32 years old. They had married 13 April 1913 so they have been married five and a half years and they have two children - my Uncle born in 1814 and my mother born in 1816. I shall check the pictures around this one carefully to see if there is a picture of my mother at two years of age. The wedding of my grandparents had been a small affair with just two witnesses.

I am continuing with the Andover Parish Registers and have now completed 8545 burials to mid February 1730. Sixteen years to go of burials and these are going faster as the priest is writing less down (no mention of buried in woollen) which is unfortunate as he was recording the "home" of the person being buried in terms of hamlet within Andover parish.

I found a Mary Baaks which I wonder about it being Mary Blake as this new priest is having trouble spelling the names for a couple of years. However, He names another Mary Blake but I believe she is the wife of John Blake as their last child was born in January 1730 and this Mary Blake is buried February 1730. Again the priest is not always writing that information down although does mention if the child is an infant. Sometimes he mentions if the burial is a widow or the wife of but not always.

If the earlier entry is Mary Blake buried November 1725 then Thomas the son of Thomas Blake and Mary Spring would have been only 16 years old. It might account for him being in Penton Mewsey where a Thomas Blake married Ann Carter in September 1728. Why would he be in Penton Mewsey? Well there were Blake families there and I haven't yet determined which Blake line they were. William Blake and Ann Hillier baptized their three children at Penton (John Blake father of Thomas' father was baptized at Penton). It is beginning to make sense that he could have gone to Penton Mewsey and married Ann Carter. Need just a little more proof to really feel that it is right. I may yet find it.

No comments: