Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Hibberd family and the Blake family at Andover and Eastontown

Yesterday, I was reporting on the will of Nicholas Blake which was written 20 Nov 1641 and probated 4 Feb 1642 I have now completed the transcription and it is part of this blog. Nicholas is talking about the Hibberd family including Winifred and her four sisters (I can find this family in the Parish Registers of Andover and their father was Christopher Hibberd). Perhaps he was a brother/cousin to Margaret Hibberd who was the mother of Nicholas. He remembers them first of all and sets aside a sum of money that is to be used by Joseph Hinxman senior or his son Joseph or failing their being able to follow up then he passes this request on to William Blake (of Andover) and his eldest son Richard to undertake to ensure that the money is put to use buying stocke that can then provide work for the Hibberd sisters in order that they can continue to take care of themselves.

The will is a really lucky find in that it clearly distinguishes between these families and puts a number of people into family lines (always helpful in these early days of the parish registers). Because he is dying without descendants he has named many many people in his family. You feel sorry for what may have been a tragic life but oh so grateful that he has taken the time to remember so many people. I have not yet transcribed the Probate but it was taken by William Blake of Eastontown. Where to move next is always the question and I shall look through the Hampshire wills to see what would be a good next step. I have a number of wills for the Blake family at Christchurch and it would be interesting to see if this family is descendant of the Andover Blake family or have they come down through Wiltshire and are descendant of the Wiltshire Blake family.

The will of Nicholas Blake:
1    In the name of the eternall and everliveing
2    God the father the sonne and the holy ghost in whose name I was baptized
3    and in whome only I hope and beleeve to be saved Amen, The twintith
4    day of November Anno D[o]m[n]i 1641 and in the seaventeenth yeare of the raigne
5    of our Soveraigne Lord Charles King of England Scotland Fraunce and
6    Ireland defender of the faith and etc I Nicholas Blake of Eastentowne w[it]hin
7    the parrish of Andever in the County of South[amp]ton gent being at the
8    makeing whereof sicke in body yet in good and p[er]fect remembrance for w[hi]ch as
9    for all the other good blessinges and benefits w[hi]ch yt hath pleased him to
10    bestowe uppon me I doe yeeld and give unto his divine nature most humble
    [Page 2]
11    and hear to thankes beseeching him of his great mercie and goodnes to
12    pardon and forgive me all my sinnes and to receave my soule into his heavenly
13    kingdome And I doe make and declare this p[re]sente to be my last will and
14    Testament revokeing all former wills and Testaments And first and principally
15    I comend my soule into the hands of god the father the sonne and the holy
16    ghost by whose mercifull promises and by the only merrits death and
17    passion of Jesus Christ my only Saviour and Redeemer I hope to be
18    saved and to be made an inheritor of his heavenly kingdom My body yf
19    comend[ed] to be buried unto the earth in the Church of Andever neere unto the place where
20    my Ancestors have beene buried Item I give to the Church of Andever
21    thirty shillings Item I give to the Church of Knights Enham twentye
22    shillings Item I doe make my cosen William Blake of Eastentowne
23    aforesaid eldest sonne of my elder brother William Blake of Eastentowne
24    aforesaid my sole executor of this my last will and Testament Item I give
25    to all my godchildren twenty shillings a peece to be payed w[i]thin six months
26    after my decease they requireing the same Item I give to the poore people
27    of Andever such as are most ancient and have most need fourtye
28    shillings to be delivered to them at my funerall Item I give to Winnifred
29    Hibberd and her foure other sisters tenn pounds to be payed by my executor
30    unto my cosen Joseph Hinxman senior and Joseph his sonne and unto my cosen
31    William Blake of Andever and Richard Blake his sonne or to some of
32    them whome I doe desire soe to dispose and ymploy the same to at yt may
33    Be p[re]served and kept in stocke to keepe them in worke Item I give to
34    widow Hibberd their mother five shillings Item I give to Nicholas
35    Blake and Thomas Blake two of the sonnes of my cosen William
36    Blake of Eastontowne aforesaid fyftie pounds a peece to be payed unto
37    them when they shall attaine to the age of twenty one yeares Item I
38    give unto Sara Blake Anne Blake and Mary Blake three of the
39    daughters of my said cosen William Blake of Eastontown fyftie
40    pounds a peece to be payed unto them when they shall attayne to the
41    age of twenty one yeares or att such tyme as they shal[l ]be married
42    And my will and meaneing is that yf any of the Children of my said
43    cosen William Blake to whome I have by this last will given my
44    legacie unto shall happen to depart this life before such legacie shal[l ]be
45    growe due and payable then the legacie or legacies of him her or them
46    soe dyeing shal[l ]be paid and equally distributed amongst the survivors of
47    them Item I give to my kinswoman Mary Warberton widdowe of the towne
48    and county of Southampton twenty pounds to be payed unto her within
49    six moneths after my decease Item I give to the five children of the
50    said Mary Warberton now liveing twenty pounds a peece to be payed unto
51    them when they shall severally attaine to the age of twenty one yeares
51    or be married And yf any of them shall happen to depart this life before
52    they shall attaine that age or shall be married And yf any of them shall
53    Then my will and meaneing is that the legacie or legacies hereby given to
54    him her or them soe dyeing shal[l ]be paed and equally devided amongst the
55    survivors of them. Whereas Mrs. Venables of Andever doth owe unto
56    me divers sommes of money as by specialty remayning in my custody and
57    otherwise doth and may appeare. My will and meaneing is that for so much
58    thereof as will discharge the severall legacies hereby given to the children
59    of my cosen William Blake of Eastontowne and to the Children of my
    [Page 3]
60    said kinswoman Mary Warberton shall remaine and continue in the hands of
61    the said Mrs. Venables at six pounds p[er] centum until such tyme as the same
62    shall severally and respectively growe due and payable unto them and either of
63    them she the said Mrs. Venables giving sufficient secureties to my executor
64    before named for the true payment thereof together w[i]th the interest and
65    profite for the only use and benefitt of the said Children Item I give to my
66    Sister Dorothie Smithe peece of gould of twenty two shillings of Queene
67    Elizabeths Coyne nowe in my custody And I give to my brother in lawe
68    William Smithe desireing him as my overseer of this my
69    last will to ayd and assist my executor the best he can All the rest of
70    my goods and Chattles I doe hereby give and bqueath to my said executor
71    requireing and chargeing him to be carefull in the performance of this my
72    last will and testament. In witness that this shall stand and remaine my
73    last will I have hereunto sett my hands the daye and yeare first above
74    written Nich: Blake [signed] And the same daye and yeare first w[i]thin
75    written I the said Nicholas Blake doe hereby further declare my will
76    and meaneing in manner and forme followeing that is to saye Item I doe
77    forgive unto Mrs. Venables w[i]thin named the somme of one hundred
78    pounds of the moneys she oweth me by specialty and otherwise And
79    doe desire that this clause may be counted and taken as part and p[a]rcell
80    of my wish in written last will and testament And in witnes that this
81    is my will and meaneing I have hereunto sett my hands the daye and
82    yeare first w[i]thin written Nich: Blake [signed] Published in the p[re]sence
83    of William Smith The same Legacies given by the Testator wer
84    e desired a little before his death might be subscribed to this his last will
85    Will and be reputed as part and parcell thereof. To Mr Matkins
86    vicar of Andever twenty shillings To his brother Mr. William Blake in
87    gould for remembrance twenty shillings To Tho: Blake the son of the said
88    Mr William Blake fyve pounds To Elizabeth Cload that attended
89    him in his sicknes twenty shillings William Smith [signed]

Records for the Hibberd family (early 1600s) at Andover (registers begin late 1580s):
Baptisms
Hibard    Winifred    daughter    Hibard    Christophur    1594    June    24               
Hibard    Alice    daughter    Hibard    Christophur        1594    August    14               
Hibard    Fayerned    daughter    Hibard    Christophur    1597    July    30               
Hibard    Philip    daughter    Hibard    Thomas            1591    October    18               
Hibbard    ……ard    son    Hibbard    Christopher            1589    July    16               
Hibbard    Mary    daughter    Hibbard    Christophur        1601    May    2               
Hibberd    Christopher    son    Hibberd    Christopher        1611    August    11               
Hibberd    Christour    son    Hibberd    Christophur        1595    November 26               
Hibberd    Thomas    son    Hibberd    Roberd            1602    December    19               
Hibbert    Margaret    daughter    Hibbert    Christopher    1604    January    26    of Andover
Hibbert    Richard    son    Hibbert    Christopher            1606    August    30               
Hiberd    Amy    daughter    Hiberd    Christophur        1603    April    3               
Hiberd    Dortye    daughter    Hiberd    Christophur        1590    December 16

Marriages
Braye    John        Hibbard    Susana                1587    October    29
Hopgood    Rowland        Hibbard    Elizabeth            1597    January    9
           
Burials
Hibard    Christofer                    1636    July    22   
Hibbard    Alce                        1592    February    24    widow
Hibbard    Christour    son    Hibbard    Christophur    1589    October    2   
Hibbard    Christour    son    Hibbard    Christphour    1596    January    6   
Hibbard    Dorathy                        1657    February    13   
Hibbard    Robert                        1589    April    17   
Hibberd    Susan    daughter    Hibberd    Christopher    1610    June    23   
Hibbert    Margarett daughter    Hibbert    Christopher    1604    February    26   
Hibbert    Thomas                        1604    February    6    died February 3, elder

Robert may be the father of Margaret Hibberd married to William Blake and the parents of Nicholas. Margaret was buried in 1613. Christopher is not buried until 1636 and perhaps that is why Nicholas is remembering the family so kindly (he does not imply close kinship in the will). Given the unusual surname though and the location one might suspect a cousin of his mother or perhaps a nephew.

I have also added a page to my Blog which appears under the title Pages (one can tab back and forth between the regular blog posting on "Home" that I make and this rather permanent addition which stands on its own and can be opened from the side panel "Guild of one name studies").

It is on the Guild of One Name Studies and grows out of a request that I had to do a short writeup on how I value my Guild membership. It was impossible for me to do it in a couple of lines but I allowed for a short quote to be made from the information to be placed on another blog. That inspired me to then publish my own thoughts on the Guild.

No comments: