Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Pincombe family at Landkey

I received an inquiry about the marriage of John Skinner and Mary Pincombe which is listed as a patron entry on the Family Search website. Unfortunately I do not have the parish registers for Warkleigh so I am unable to check out the entry. John Skinner is a freeholder at Warkleigh in the 1730s and could potentially be the father of the John Skinner who is said to have married Mary Pincombe 4 May 1749 at Warkleigh. There isn't a Pincombe family at Warkleigh in this time period to my knowledge. I do not have one listed on any of the 16 charts that I received from the earlier researchers. However, Warkleigh is located 5 miles south west of South Molton placing it is close proximity to Swimbridge and Landkey where there are known Pincombe families in this time period. Pincombe is my other one name study with the Guild of one name studies.

Stephen Pincombe married Elizabeth Darch 5 Jan 1714 at Swimbridge but I do not see any baptisms for this couple at Swimbridge although marriages at Lankey list:

Pincombe    John    Ridley    Mary    1737    April    29    groom of Swimbridge, bride of Barnstaple
Pincombe    Richard    Yolland    Mary    1746    May    6    both of Swimbridge

But both of these marriages are too late for them to have been the parents of a Mary Pincombe marrying in 1749 at Warkleigh. 

Hugh Pincombe married Sarah supposedly at Lankey according to a patron entry but I do not find this marriage at Landkey in the Parish Registers (nor is it at Bishops Nympton the home parish of Hugh Pincombe). Their son John married Elizabeth Leye at Landkey 28 Apr 1728 and they had a daughter Elizabeth for whom I have no further information yet.

Possibly Stephen Pincombe and Elizabeth Darch had a daughter Mary but I can not find baptisms for this couple.

Hugh Pincombe is the son of John Pincombe and Johane Blackmore who married 25 Sep 1655 at Bishops Nympton. He was baptized 2 Nov 1664 at Bishops Nympton and was their youngest child. His two older brothers remained at Bishops Nympton (William baptized 18 Oct 1656 married Mary Vicary 17 Jun 1685 at Bishops Nympton and Thomas married Christian ). This is my line as John Pincombe and Johane Blackmore are my 7x great grandparents. 

Eye strain has kept me away from my transcription of the Abbotts Ann Parish Registers but I am still doing a little. I am up to 1595 in the baptisms (325 baptisms from the commencement of the register in 1561). No more Blake entries but the IGI only lists the one in the 1500s.

I have also been in touch with Charlou who has done quite a bit of research on the Blake family. I sent her my Andover Parish Registers and at some point I have to decide whether I want to place them on the OPC Hampshire website not yet proofread. It goes against my thinking actually as there is enough wrong information out there without my introducing more of it. I shall make my mind up soon on that. It is really the early part of the register that is difficult to read. Any other errors would be typing errors mostly and I did try to go slowly enough to avoid those.

No comments: