Monday, April 16, 2012

Will of John Blake, Sailor, Longe Ashton, Somerset, National Archives PROB 11/395, probated 10 Sep 1591

Another interesting will on the National Archives website and it is for a sailor named John Blake. Impossible to tell by the bequests to whom he might be related although I will eventually try to locate the people he mentioned in case they are female siblings.

Longe Ashton is two miles southwest of Bristol (then in Somerset). In reality John could be descended from a number of different Blake families since he is sailor. The time between the writing of the will and his death is about eleven months. Perhaps he was injured and he is repaying the kindness of people in Longe Ashton for care. He doesn't mention. In the desire to look at all the Blake wills on the National Archives website, I transcribe this particular one. There is always the remote possibility that someone may recognize John from their family line.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 15 Apr 2012
Source:  The National Archives PROB 11/395, #93 (images by me)
Name of testator: John Blake (Sailor)
Place: Longe Ashton, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 6 Oct 1590, probated 10 Sep 1591
Read: Electronic file
Condition: smudges, 16th century, bold copy, middle English, very legible

[In margin] T. Johannis
[In margin] Blake

1    In the name of God Amen I John Blake of the
2    parishe of Longe Ashton in the Countie of Somerset Sailor make my laste will
3    and Testament the Sixth daie of October in the two and Thirtith yeare of the
4    Raigne
    [Page 2]
5    Raigne of our Soveraigne Ladie reine Elizabeth by the grace of god etc. Item I give
6    unto Michael Ades of the parishe of Longe Ashton fyftenne poundes of good and lawfull
7    money of Englande to be paied at the daie of my deathe. Item I give unto Margarett
8    Canes of the same parishe seaven poundes of good and lawfull English money. Item I
9    give unto John Canes of Gillingame in the Countie of Dorsetshire Thirtie shillings
10    of good and lawfull money of Englande. Item I give unto Richard Canes in the
11    parish of Sturminster Marshall in the countie of Dorsetshire Thirtie shillings
12    of good and lawfull Englishe English money. Item I give to Elizabeth Beven twenty
13    shillings of the parishe of Longe Ashton. Item I give to the poore of the parishe of
14    Longe Ashton Ferton fortie shillings. Item I make Richard Ades my Executor to see
15    my will performed at the daie of my death. In witnes whereof John Beven and
16    others

No comments: