Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Will of William Blake, Peruke Maker and belonging to His Majesty's Ship Terrible of Gosport, Hampshire, National Archives PROB 11/819 Image Reference 142/159, probated 3 Dec 1755

Another will for a William Blake married to Mary (unknown). Not being of military background I am realizing that perhaps the "Terrible" is stationed at Gosport and his wife could be elsewhere. Although his executor James Rimes is at Gosport.

Checking on Find my Past I do not find any Blake entries at Gosport between 1700 and 1755. There was a William Blake buried 6 Aug 1770 at Gosport but this William was buried in 1755.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 15 May 2012
Source: The National Archives PROB 11/819 Image Reference 142/159
Place: Gosport, Hampshire, England
Testator: William Blake, Peruke Maker and belonging to His Majesty's Ship Terrible of Gosport, Hampshire
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 3 Feb 1755, probated 3 Dec 1755
Read: Electronic copy
Condition: image, small script, contrast medium

[In margin] William Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I  William Blake of Gosport in the County of Southampton
3    peruke maker and belonging to his Majesties Ship
4    Terrible being in Bodily health and of Sound and disposing
5    Mind and Memory and considering the perils and dangers
6    of the Seas and other Uncertainties after my decease make
7    publish and declare this my last Will and Testament in
8    manner following that is to say first I  recommend my
9    soul to God that gave it and my Body to commit to the
10    earth or Sea as it shall please God to order and as for
11    and concerning all my Worldly Estate I give bequeath and
12    despose thereof as followweth that is to Say all and Singular
13    my Wages Sum and Sums of Money Lands Tenements Goods
14    Chattels and Estate whatsoever as Shall be any ways
15    and owing or belonging unto me at the time of my
16    decease I do give devise and bequeath the same unto
17    my loving Wife Mary Blake and I do hereby nominate
18    and appoint my friend James Rimes of Gosport abovesaid
19    peruke maker Executor of this my last Will and Testament
20    hereby revoking all former and other Wills Testaments
    [Page 2]
21    and Testaments and Goods of Gift by me at any time heretofore
22    made and I do ordain and ratify these presents to stand and
23    be for and as my only last Will and Testament And Witness whereof
24    to this my said Will I have set my hand and Seal the third day
25    of February in the year of our Lord one thousand Seven
26    hundred and fifty five and in the twenty eighth year of the
27    Reign of his Majesty King George the Second over Great
28    Britain etc W[illia]m Blake Signed Sealed Published and declared
29    in the presence of the William Andrews on Higgens 1755
30    This Will was proved at London the third day of
31    December in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred
32    and fifty five before the Right Honourable Sir George Leese
33    Knight Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the
34    Prerogative Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the
35    Oath of James Rimes the Sole Executor named in the said Seale
36    to whom Administration was granted of all and Singular
37    the Goods Chattels and Credits of the deceased having
38    been first Sworn by Commission duly to administer

No comments: