Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Will of Agnes Blake, widow, Marten - SWRO P2/4 Reg/115A, probated 28 Jan 1562/63

The first will from Wiltshire and it is dated 1 Jan 1562 with probate 28 Jan 1562 (both dates old style). I usually use old style but do not always mark it thus. I generally use 62/63 if I am using new style of dating.

Testator Agnes Blake has a son John and two daughters Elizabeth and Syblye. She lives in the village of Martin which is 9.5 miles south west of Salisbury and close to the border of Hampshire and Dorsetshire. Interesting just 9 miles sse of Ellingham Hampshire where the family of William Blake and Avice Ripley lived for a time. However this is prior to that time period.

Her daughters are not yet married so are perhaps young but likely 21 as no guardian named. Her son John is her executor so likely 21 years old at least.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 16 Oct 2012
Source:  Swindon and Wiltshire Record Office P2/4 Reg/115A
Name of testator: Agnes Blake, Widow
Place: Martin, Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 1 Jan 1562, probated 28 Jan 1562
Read: Electronic file images
Condition: 16th century, middle English, clear copy (few smudges)
[Header] Testam[ent] Agness Blake Martin vidue

1    In the name of god amen the First day of Januarij
2    in the yere of o[u]r lord god after the compntacay [course and accounting] of the Churche of
3    Englande M C C C C C lxij I Agness Blake wydow of the parishe of Marten
4    sycke of body and p[er]fyte of mynde and remembrance thanks be un to god do
5    make and ordeyne this my p[re]sant testament concernyng my last wyll in
6    man[ner] and forme folowyng. First I bequeathe my soule to Almyghtie god, And
7    my body to be buryed in the churche yarde of West Marten aforesaid I geve to
8    my Mother churche of Sa[lisbur]y ij d It[e]m to Will[ia]m Thorne and his wyfe vj sheepe
9    a crocke, a panne, ij platers a candelstycke and my best Clooke and a petycote
10    and ev[er]y chylde of thers j shepe It[e]m to Agnes Style vj sheepe a crock
11    ij platers a panne a candelstycke and my best Focke and a violet kyrtell
12    ev[er]y one of her chylderen a sheepe It[e]m to my dowghter Elizabeth vj shepe
13    a crocke ij platers and the best candelstycke and my best kyrtell and my best
14    peticote and to ev[er]y one of her chylderen a shepe It[e]m to my dowghter
15    Syblye a pair of shepe ij platers and to ev[er]y one of her chylderen a shepe
16    It[e]m to Edythe Hyll a poteng[er] and to ev[er]y one of her chylderen a shepe
17    It[e]m to Alys Longtrees chylderen ev[er]y one a shepe It[e]m to Purnell Eurts
18    a shepe It[e]m to Jane Style a cowe and vj shepe and a Fether bedd and all
19    thyngs thereto p[er]tenyng It[e]m to ev[er]y godchylde ij d The Resydeu of my
20    goods unbequeathed my legacies p[er]formed I holy geve and bequeath unto
21    my sonne John Blake whom I ordeyne and make myne executor witness
22    hereof Thomas Lawrance clerke John Wyks and John Abbott

No comments: