Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Will of John Blake, Draper, Winchester - The National Archives PROB 11/595/234, probated 15 Feb 1724

As always it is nice when wills fits together and this is John Blake father of Martha, Mary and Hester. With the connecting link being the will of Hester Blake (see blog http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2012/10/will-of-hester-blake-spinster.html) and this John Blake line daughters out at this point in time as he only mentions his daughters and Hester his daughter mentions that her brother has died. Lines connecting directly back to this John Blake would be through his daughter Martha Soley (Solley) or Mary Imber both of whom left children.

No marriage of a John Blake to a Martha (unknown) in Family Sear between 1689 and 1703. Will continue to look for that particular marriage.

John does mention his kinsman James Blake but no location. If this is John son Hester Blake, widow, then he was an only child and in the will of Hester Blake widow (http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2012/10/will-of-hester-blake-widow-winton.html)  I discuss a marriage between Robert Blake and Esther (unknown) at Devizes St Mary in Wiltshire where a John Blake their son was baptized 2 Jun 1668. Hester is a rather unusual name  although can still not definitively link these generations together. Doing the Wiltshire wills for the Blake family would be a good move now and it is the direction I am moving in although I will transcribe two more Hampshire wills before I do actually begin Wiltshire. Neither of them is a Blake will but rather for two individuals who married into the Blake family.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 15 Oct 2012
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/595/234
Name of testator: John Blake, Draper
Place: Winchester, Hampshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated:10 Jan 1717, probated 15 Feb 1724
Read: Electronic file images
Condition: 18th century, middle English, clear copy (few smudges)
[In margin] T[esta]m[ent]
[In margin] Johannis Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I John Blake of the City of Winchester in the County of
3    South[amp]ton Draper do make and ordaine this my last Will and
4    Testament as followeth Imprimis I commend my soul to Allmighty
    [Page 2]
5    God and my body to the Earth Item I give and devise all
6    my Messuages Lands Tenements and hereditaments whatsoever
7    to my Wife Martha Blake her heirs and Assignes for ever
8    Subject nevertheless to the payment of my debts Item all my
9    Goods Chattells and personal Estate whatsoever I give and
10    beqeath to my said Wife and make her my Sole Executrix
11    provided that if my said Wife shall happen to marry again then
12    I give devise and bequeath all my said Lands Tenements
13    hereditaments Goods Chattells and personall Estate to my three
14    daughters Martha Mary and Hester and their heirs and to the
15    Survivors or Survivor of them and after my Wife's Marriage I
16    appoint my kinsman James Blake and James Cross Esquires
17    Executors in Trust and Guardians to my said Daughters In
18    Witness whereof I have hereto set my hand and seal this tenth
19    day of January in the year of our Lord 1717 John Blake [signed]
20    Signed Sealed and declared by the said John [seal] Blake [signed] to be his
21    last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence
22    have set our hands Eliz. Traffles [signed] Mary Traffles [signed] Cha. Traffles [signed]
23    Not. pub[lic]

No comments: