Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Will of Bridgett Blake spinster of Stepney, Middlesex - National Archives PROB 11/344/35, probated 12 Jan 1673/74

Bridgett Blake is the testator in this will. She is a spinster living in Stepney Middlesex. The reference to the Bicton family of the Parish of St Stephen in the will has "County of Cornhill" I wonder if she means County of Cornwall. Cornhill Ward in Middlesex does not have a St Stephen church in this time period.

On the IGI  and in Ancestry there is a Bridgett Blake baptized 2 Aug 1607 at Saint Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney and daughter of Anthony Blake (C05576-5 Family Search). Ancestry has a scan of the register and they live at Sugarhouse tenement and Anthony is a shipwright. An Anthony Blaike married Barbara Sweete 26 Jun 1604 at Saint Dunstan Stepney (M05576-1 Family Search) and it was by license.

Other possible children of this couple:

James Blaike baptized 17 May 1605 at Saint Dunstan Stepney son of Anthony Blaike ship carpenter of Brook Street
Roger Blayke baptized 8 Oct 1609 at Saint Dunstan Stepney son of Anthony Blayke shipwright of Brook Street

No information on the Bicton family that fitted with the will. No information on Nathaniel Marston her executor and brother in law. No information on the Rowse family and Davies is somewhat too numerous to search.

I always have a look at the Blake pedigree chart from the Swindon and Wiltshire Record Office but no Anthony who would fit into this time frame but perhaps a little earlier Robert Blake son of Roger Blake and Mary Baynard married Alice Smyth of Lacock Wiltshire. They have four children Roger, Anthony, Joane and Mary with no further information. Robert was the 2nd son of his parents. In this case Anthony would be the younger son and I will leave my mind open to his being a possibility. The items that Bridgett is giving away speak of a wealthier lifestyle but they are all that she has to give which could be indicative of having well to do grandparents but a father who had to work for his living and did not leave his family with a large estate.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 7 Nov 2012
Source: The National Archives PROB 11/344/35
Testator: Bridgett Blake, spinster
Place: Stepney, Middlesex, England
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 5 Jan 1673/74, probated 12 Jan 1673/74
Read: Electronic copy images
Condition: middle English writing good, smudged but legible

[Margin]: Bridgitta Blake

1    In the name of God Amen
2    the fiveth day of January Anno Domini 1673 And in the Five
3    and Twentieth yeare of the Reigne of our Sovereigne Lord Charles
4    the second King of England etc I Bridgett Blake of the parrish of
5    Stebenheath al[ia]s Stepney  in the County of Midd[lesex] Spinster being
6    somewhat
    [Page 2]
7    Somewhat weake and Graie in body But of good and perfect mind
8    and in m[em]ory (Laud and praise be given unto Almighty God)  But
9    weighing with my selfe the uncertainty of this present life And that
10    it appertayneth unto every Christian before their departure out of this life
11    To sett due order in all worldly things soe that after their decease  noe
12    suite trouble or Controversie may ensue for the same Therefore being
13    well advised that a work I now have in hand Doe make and declare
14    this my Last will and Testament as followeth (That is to say) First and
15    Principally I doe bequeath my soule into the hands of almighty God
16    my Creator ever retaineing a firme hope of my salvation in Jesus Christ
17    my onely Saviour and Redeemer And my body I Committ to the Earth to
18    be decently buried And as for my worldly and Temporall Estate which
19    God hath beene pleased to blesse and Indue me withall or which shall
20    belong unto me att the time of my decease I doe hereby give and
21    bequeath the samme as followeth (That is to say) Imprimis I give
22    and bequeath unto Jane Joane Elizabeth and William Bicton sonnes
23    and daughters of William Bicton of the parish of St Stephen in the
24    County of Cornhill gent each of them the summe of Fifty shillings
25    a peece of lawfull money of England To be paid unto the said William
26    Bicton for the benefitt of the said Children within Twelve moneths after
27    my decease Item I give and bequeath unto Thomas Davies sonne
28    of William Davies late late of the parish of Stebonheath al[ia]s Stepney
29    aforesaid labourer deceased the summe of Five shillings of like money
30    within one moneth after my decease Item I give and bequeath
31    unto Frances Hughs of the parish of St Mary Mattfellon alias
32    White Chappell in the County of Middlesex Spinster my Two small
33    Gold Rings To be delivered unto her imediatly after my decease Item
34    I give and Bequeath unto Cicely Rowse the wife of William Rowse
35    Cittizen and _coxchandlir of London my Gold Stone Ringe To be delive
36    red unto her imediatly after my decease The Rest Residue and
37    remainder of all and Singuler my whole Estate whatsoever or where-
38    soever whither Reall or personall after the debts by me oweing shal[l ]be
39    fully and wholly paid my Funirall Charges defrayed and the legacies
40    in this my Last will and Testament fully and wholly paid I doe
41    hereby give and bequeath the same and every part and parcell thereof
42    unto my loveing Brother in Law Nathaniell Marston of the Parish
43    of Stebonheath al[ia]s Stepney aforesaid gent whome I doe hereby make
44    name ordeine and appoint to be the full and sole Executor of this
45    my Last Will and Testament revoaking all former wills by me at any-
46    tyme heretofore made And doe pronounce and declare this to stand
47    and be for and as my last will and Testament In witnes whereof
48    I have hereunto put my hand and seale the day and yeare First above
49    written Bridgett Blake her marke Signed sealed Published
50    declared and delmered By the said Bridgett Blake as her last will
51    and Testament the day and yeare above written in the presence of
52    William Hudson James Abbitt his marke Edw: Parentt Serv[ant] to
53    Jno Marlar Scr

No comments: