Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pincombe one name study

My Pincombe family research has suffered lately due to my intense work on the Blake family. Working two one name studies at the same time has proven to be somewhat difficult although it shouldn't be so. I suspect it is more because I am also wanting to transcribe this backlog of wills that I am finally starting to work through. I do plan to establish a website for the one name study as I have for the Blake one name study.

I have had a few interesting emails from fourth cousins which have concentrated my interest but I would like to deal with Pincombe at arm's length as well without letting my own line influence my thoughts. I have the work of the earlier researchers which linked the Pinkham and Pincombe families of North Devon but yDNA studies have thrown somewhat of a left curve into all of that. I have stood back now from those studies and will wait quite a while before contemplating them with regard to the family. I need to have more people test the Pincombe line and would love it if one of my near cousins from the John Pincombe/Elizabeth Rew (my 2x great grandparents and the emigrant to Canada) line would test and will just have to wait and see if that happens over the next few years. The opinion of the earlier researchers was that there was likely a common ancestor at least that is what I have gleaned from their 14 charts which I am now in possession of and entering into Legacy.

There is one rather interesting entry in the Calendar of Patent Rolls for Thomas Pencombe. The earliest records in North Devon use the Pencombe spelling.

The online repository that has the Calendar of Patent Rolls (http://www.uiowa.edu/~acadtech/patentrolls/)  is a freely searchable set of files made available as a project of Professor G.R. Boynton and the University of Iowa Libraries. Thanks to them for making this set of documents available. 

It is from the time of Richard II:

1395 20 May Westminster (membrane 5)
Licence, for 100 s. paid in the hanaper by Philip Webbe, chaplain of a
chantry of St. Mary in the parish church of Bromyord, for the alienation
in mortmain by John Falke of a messuage in Bromyord, and by John
Hunte or another there, and by Thomas Pencombe and Robert Stanford
of five messuages and half an acre of meadow in the same place, not held in
chief, to the said chaplain and his successors, in aid of their maintenance.
18 Richard II, volume 5, page 582

I had found earlier records that show a Thomas Pencombe at Pembroke in Herefordshire in the 1430s and a Pencombe is known to have been with Lord de la Zouche at Northmolton in 1485 when he received property from Lord de la Zouch at East Buckland and Filleigh. The forename of the Pencombe at Northmolton is not known to me but his descendants are listed in the Visitation of Devon 1620.

Once all of these other wills are accomplished I shall spend more time on the Pincombe family once again. We hope to be in Exeter in 2014 and what wasn't bombed in WWII on the Pincombe family I shall have a look at there. Unfortunately many wills of this family were lost and only on occasion do I find abstracts from them in published books. The Freeholder books have been helpful with this family but in actual fact I knew from my mother the line back to 1655 when John Pincombe married Johane Blackmore. My line has been at Bishops Nympton since the late 1500s.

I would like to look at the Pincombe/Pinkham family though in the same way as the Blake family eventually. No one line should predominate but rather find the deep ancestry of this family although this family is primarily found in the North Devon area after 1485 and in the Pembroke Herefordshire area before 1485. They were either being rewarded for whom they supported at the Battle of Bosworth Field or they were hiding out in the wilds of North Devon :) from the wrath of Henry VII!

No comments: