Friday, January 25, 2013

Will of Hugh Blackmore, yeoman, of Bishops Nympton - The National Archives PROB 11/173/434, probated 20 Mar 1636/37

Hugh Blackmore the testator of the following will is my 9x great grandfather and he was married to Johan Whetstone (daughter of Walter Whetstone). They married 23 Oct 1586 at Bishops Nympton. I think he was baptized at Bishops Nympton and the son of Thomas Blackmoore and Honor Snow. It is the Snow family that links together the Blackmoore and the Pincombe family. Unknown Snowe baptized two children at West Anstey - William (father of Honor Snow) and Emotte (wife of William Pincombe my 10x great grandfather) thus making Thomas Blackmoore (son of Hugh) and John Pincombe mentioned in the will of Thomas cousins (third).

I did not read through this entire will prior to transcribing it. I skimmed through it quickly and thought I had discovered everything there was to be found but wills can have surprises. The big surprise is that Anthony's wife Johane is deceased by 1636 so that rather leaves me with just one Johane Blackmoore daughter of Thomas as my ancestor. A surprise find in this will of Hugh Blackmoore actually.

Hugh mentions his daughters Peternell, Elizabeth and Frances. Joan the youngest daughter died as an infant in 1600 and Susanne died as an infant in 1588. He mentions all of his sons except for Hugh who died as a young child in 1603 with Thomas being the eldest and then Edward followed  then Anthonie and Bartholomew.

Hugh put a lot of emphasis on education it would appear as his two younger sons were sent to Oxford with Anthony trained in the law and Bartholomew to be a priest. All in all a very satisfying bit of transcription. Hugh would have been somewhat elderly for the times - over 65 years of age at his death. His sons did not survive long after him, Thomas died in 1648, Bartholomew in late 1636, Anthony by 1651 and Edward I have not yet filled in his date. Will have to look for that in the parish registers.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 24 Jan 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/173/434
Testator: Hugh Blackmore, yeoman
Place: Bishops Nympton, Devon, England
Date of document: 15 Oct 1636, probated 20 Mar 1636/37
Read: Electronic copy images
Document quality: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[estament]Hugonis
[Margin]: Blackmore

1    In the name of God Amen The fyfteenth
2    day of October in the twelfe yeare of the raigne of our Soveraigne Lord
3    Charles over England etc Anno d[omi]ni 1636 I Hugh Blackmore of
4    Bishops Nympton in the countie of Devon yeoman the unprofitable servant
5    of God revokeing hereby every former will by me heretofore made doe
6    for the certaine disposing of those goodes and chattells which God of his
7    goodnes hath given mee make this my last will and Testament in manner
8    and forme followeing First I bequeath my soule unto almightie God
9    hopeing that by the bloudy death and passion of his sonne Christ Jesus to have
10    remission for all my sinnes; And for my body being but dust and meate for
11    wormes I comitt unto the earth from whence it first was taken, And first for
12    Johane my wife with whome I have lived in the holy estate of Matrimony I
13    doe devise and leave unto her all such estate and interest as I have of and in
14    all those fyve tenements in Crosse with the appurtenances Item I give and
15    bequeath unto her fower oxen and two steeres ready for labour seaven kyne
16    two weaneing calves three younge bullocks of one yeare old or more Fortie
17    Ewe sheepe fortie Lambes or hoggs tenn weathers and rammes two mares or colts
18    fitt or able for labour with saddles and furniture one mayneing colte All my swyne
19    hoggs piggs and poultrie att Crosse aforesaid, All  my silver spoones my bedstead bedd and furniture in the chamber over the winter parlor, the twoe tables livery tables standing in the said parlor and chamber over the same, and all my corne growinge or being in feildes barne or graners there, all my hay goodes and similar at Crosse aforesaid, All my bedding with sheets and
20    furniture excepting one viz[ a vi]t the bedsted with bed and furniture in the chamber
21    over the little parlour, Item I give unto her all my potts of brasse except my
22    least pott, all my candlesticks one half of all my pannes and pewter Vessells, the
23    one half of my wooll and of my Tumber or wooding Vessells, Alsoe I give unto
24    her my silver Tankerd partie quilted  my cupbord standing in the hall, All my
25    tablebords and livery Table, Alsoe I give unto her all my napery and carpets
26    the one half of all my chaires formes and stooles, my settle and seeting in the hall,
27    All my chests and cofferrs excepting fower my musket and furniture for warr'
28    All my provision of Butter Cheese and meate in salt or salted the greate
29    presse in the wring chamber, one Trunke all my spitts w[i]th drepping and fryeing
30    panns twoe paire of Andyrons one yron Barr, all my other tooles of husbandry,
31    all sackes windeing stuffe and chimney stuffe one great corne chest or Garner
32    to keepe corne in, All my wood and ladders at Crosse my Apple pound and wring
33    belonging thereunto and alsoe one Gowne of blacke to be provided for her against
34    the daie of my buriall, And whereas Anthony Blackmore my sonne and Joane
35    his wife sometyme by the name of Joane Heale thence deceased did by their
36    deed of obliga[t]ion beareing date the twelfe day of November Anno d[omi]ni 1633
37    become bounden unto mee in the forme of three hundred pounds condi[t]ioned
38    that if the said Anthony Blackmore and Joane his wife shall at all tymes
39    from henceforth p[er]mit and suffer me the said Hugh Blackmore and Joane
40    my nowe wife to have hould and enioy all that messuage called Crosse
41    aforesaid, And all that five ten[emen]ts belonging thereunto for and dureing the
42    life of mee the said Hughe and the widdowhood of Joane my wife one lower
43    or ground room and the chamber over the same and one orchard plott only
44    excepted that then the obliga[t]ion to be voyd, Now my will and meaneing is
45    and I doe hereby devise ordaine and appoint that my executor in this my
46    Testament nominated shall w[i]thin twentie dayes next after my decease
47    make over the said bond by sufficient letter of Attorney unto the said Johan
48    my wife, And if it happen that the said Anthony or his assignes shall make
49    my clayme or entrie in or to the five said messuage or ten[emen]ts or any p[ar]te thereof
50    other then is excepted as aforesaid or shall disturbe or molest my said wife
    [Page 2]
51    of the quiet enioyeing thereof w[i]thout her good likeing or consent, That then I
52    straightly charge and com[m]and my said executor to be assistant and helpfull
53    unto my said wife for serveing com[m]enceing and prosecuteing of a suite against the
54    said Anthony his executors or assignes for recovery of the penaltie of the said bond,
55    Item I give and bequeath unto Thomas my sonne my Ring or Signet of gould which
56    I use to seale w[i[thall and one paire of _irg_ulls and alsoe one silver salt
57    guilted, Item I give and bequeath unto Joane his wife my great chest in the
58    chamber over the little parlour, Item I doe devise give and bequeath unto
59    Edward my sonne all such interest terme of yeares clayme and demand
60    whatsoever I have or clayme to have of in or to all those closes of land
61    pasture and wood knowne by the name of Furse Parke al[ia]s Furse Parks with
62    the appurtenances lyeing and being in Bishops Nympton aforesayd and sometime
63    parcell of the Barton or demeasne lands of the man[n]or there Provided allwaies
64    and nevertheles my will and meaneing is that yf the said Anthony Blackmore
65    one other of my sonnes shall within two yeares next after my death well and
66    truly paye or cause to be payed unto the said Edward my sonne the some of
67    threescore pounds lawfull money of England That then the sayd Edward shall
68    upon receit thereof forthwith assigne assure make over and convey by good and
69    lawfull assurance and conveyance in lawe unto the said Anthony his brother
70    all such right interest and clayme as he the said Edward shall have of in or
71    to the said closes and p[ar]cells of land pasture and wood with the appurtenances
72    by force of theis p[re]sents, And my will and meaneing is that my executor
73    hereafter nominated shall keepe the conveyance which I have for enioying
74    thereof untill the said Terme of two yeares be fully expired and then to
75    deliver the same unto such of the sayd two brothers as the same shall of right
76    belong unto or app[er]taine And alsoe I give and bequeath unto the said Edward my
77    greatest silver balle guilted one hand gunn or fowling peece And alsoe
78    thirtie pounds of lawfull money of England to be payed within one yeare
79    next after my death Item I doe give and bequeath unto Frances Blackmoore
80    my daughter in lawe my best Cofferr Item I doe give and bequeath unto
81    my sonne Anthony my bed and furniture in the chamber over the little parlour
82    at Crosse, And whereas the right wor[shipfu]ll Sir John Stawell of the honourable
83    order of the Bath Knight hath by his deed indented bearing date the first
84    daye of February in the eight yeare of the raigne of our Sov[er]aigne Lord
85    King Charles given granted and made over unto mee and my assignes the
86    first and next avodance and assenta[t]ion of in and to the Patronage and
87    Church of Sutcombe alias Suttacombe in the Countie aforesaid for one
88    turne onely next and im[m]ediately ensueing the nowe p[re]sent incumbrance of the
89    said Church as by and in the said deed at large appeareth Nowe my will and
90    meaneing is and I doe hereby devise ordaine and appoint that my executor
91    in this my testament nominated to go ther with Edward and Anthony my said sonnes
92    or one of them their or one of their executors or assignes shall forthwith upon
93    the death resignation or depriva[t]ion w[hi]ch shall first happen of Myles Phaire
94    Clarke nowe p[re]sent Rector or member of the said Church of Sutcombe
95    present unto the Lord Bishop of the dioces of Exon for the tyme then being as
96    Clarke for the said Church of Sutcombe Bartholomewe my youngest sonne
97    yf he shal[l ]be then liveing Alsoe I doe give and bequeath unto the sayd
98    Bartholomewe one annuitye or yearly rent of tenn pounds of lawfull mony of England
    [Page 3]
99    to be yssueing or goeing forth and to be had levied pieaved and taken out
100    of all that part of the farme or barten of hayne lyeing on the south side of the
101    king's highwaye leading from Southmolton toward Dulverton in Bishops
102    Nympton aforesaid or out of my part or parcell thereof To have levey receave
103    and take the said anuitye or yearly rent of tenn pounds from the daye of my death
104    unto the end and terme and for and dureing the terme of threescore yeares if
105    he the said Bartholomewe shall soe long happen to lyve, and shall not in the meane
106    while be lawfullie instituted and inducted to the parrish charge of Sutcombe aforesaid to
107    be payable at the fower most usuall terms of the yeare by even and equall por[t]ions
108    Alsoe I doe give unto the said Bartholmewe one Trunke and desk and one cloke
109    of black to be provided for him against my buriall Item I doe give unto
110    Petronell my daughter one little chest standing in the chamber over the great
111    parlor aforesaid and one Gowne of blacke against my buriall Item I doe give
112    and bequeath unto Elizabeth my daughter five pounds in money one panne of brasse
113    two dishes of pewter p[er]formed one coffer and one Gowne of blacke against the
114    daye of my buriall Item I doe give and bequeath unto Frances my daughter
115    tenn pounds in money a little silver bolle guilted one panne and one pott of brasse
116    two dishes of pewter p[er]formed and alsoe one gowne of blacke against the daye of
117    my buriall. Item I doe give and bequeath unto each of the children of Elizabeth
118    my daughter which shee had by her first husband John White fower pounds a
119    peece to be payed within two yeares next after my death and to be put to some
120    proffit and advantage for them Item I doe give unto all the rest of my Grand-
121    children twentie shillings a peece Item I doe give to each of my Godchildren unmarried
122    twelve pence a peece Item I doe give unto the poore of the parrish of B[isho]ps
123    Nympton twentie shillings Item I doe give unto each of my houshould s[er]vants
124    fyve shillings a peece And to George Blackmoore my servant fyve pounds
125    Item I give unto John Vicary the sonne of George Vicary twentie shillings Item
126    I doe give unto the Ringers of my knill and Grave makers for their paines tenn
127    shillings Item I doe give unto the preacher that shall preach my fun[er]all s[er]mon
128    tenn shillings All the residue of my goods and chattles I doe give and bequeath
129    unto Thomas Blackmore my sonne whome I doe hereby make and ordaine
130    to be my sole executor of this my said Testament And I doe appoint my beloved
131    sonnes in lawe John Vicary the younger and Richard Comme and my abovesaid
132    sonnes Edward and Anthony to be Overseers of this my Testament and doe give
133    each of them for their paines a cloake of black against my buriall And soe
134    humbly craveing of God's pardon for my offences I committ my self to his
135    protection hopeing that after this painfull life ended I shall have a resting
136    place with him in his everlasting kingdome which I hope he will grant me for
137    his infinite mercies sake In witnes whereof I have hereunto put my hand
138    and seale even the daye and yeare first above written Hugh Blackmoore Sealed
139    Signed by the within named Hugh Blackmore and alsoe by him published and declared
140    to be his last will and testam[en]t in the p[rese]nce of us Thomas Skyner sign Giles Skyner

No comments: