Saturday, July 27, 2013

Will of Jane Blake, Widow, Plymouth, Devon - The National Archives PROB 11/2020/328, probated 24 Jul 1845

Jane Blake, the testator, was buried at Charles Church Plymouth 17 Jul 1845 at the age of 82 years. She lived on Hoe Street in Plymouth. She would have been born around 1763 and I found a baptism (Find My Past) for Jane 21 Oct 1763 at Charles Plymouth and daughter of William and Jane Keys.

I also found the marriage of John Blake of the Parish of St Andrew Brandy Merchant and a Bachelor to Jane Keys of the Parish of St Andrew Spinster and they were married by Licence the 27 Oct 1793 by John Gandy and they both signed the parish Register in the presence of T Lovell and Margaret Mary Lovell. This was Marriage Number 670 in the Parish Register.

There was a John Blake son of John and Eleanor Blake baptized 11 Jun 1759 at Charles Plymouth Devon and I suspect he is her husband.

A rather interesting article in the London Gazette Issue 15587, page 631: Pursuant to a Decree of the High Court of Chancery made in a Cause Borkett and others against Redhead, the Creditors of John Blake, late of Plymouth, in the County of Devon, Brandy Merchant, (who died in the Year 1795, Intestate,) are forthwith to come in and prove their Debts before Peter Holford, Esquire; one of the Masters of the said Court, at his Chambers in Southampton Buildings, Chancery Lane, London, or in Default thereof they will be excluded the Benefit of the said Decree.

I did locate Jane on the 1841 Census living in the same household on Hoe Street as Margaret Lovell – both are 75 years of age and independent. They live in St Andrew Parish.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 26 Jul 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2020/328
Testator: Jane Blake, Widow
Place: Plymouth, Devon, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 4 Mar 1843, probated 24 Jul 1845
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Jane
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 6

1    This is the last Will and Testament
2    of me Jane Blake of Plimouth in the County of Devon Widow I
3    direct my body to be decently interred at the discretion of my Executor
4    hereinafter named in the Church yard of the Parish Church of Charles in
5    Plymouth aforesaid by the side of my deceased husband I give and bequ-
6    eath unto my Cousin Margaret Mary Lovell of Plymouth aforesaid
7    widow the legacy or sum of five pounds to be laid out in the purchase
8    of a ring or some other token of my esteem and regard also I give and
9    bequeath unto my nephew Elias Keys of Devonport in the County
10    of Devon printer my Fathers picture or likeness and I give and bequeath
11    unto the wife of the said Elias Keys all the wearing apparel of which
12    I shall be possessed at the time of my decease And as to and concer-
13    ning all the rest Residue and remainder of my monies securities for
14    money goods chattels articles and effects and personal estate whatsoever
15    not hereinbefore bequeathed I give and bequeath the same and every
    [Page 2]
16    part and parcel thereof unto my dear Grandson Alfred L__aft the
17    younger to and for his own absolute use benefit and disposal and I do
18    hereby nominate constitute and appoint my good friend Charles Cobley
19    Whiteford of Plymouth aforesaid Solicitor Sole Executor of this my Will
20    hereby revoking all former and other wills by me at any time hereto
21    fore made and declaring this to be my only last Will and Testament In testi-
22    money whereof I the said Jane Blake have to this my last Will and Tes-
23    tament set my hand and Seal the fourth day of March in the year of
24    our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty three Jane Blake
25    Signed Sealed published and declared by the above named Jane
26    Blake the Testatrix as and for her last Will and Testament in the pre-
27    sence of us being present at the same time who at the request and in
28    her presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names
29    as Witnesses hereto Wm B Lane of Plymouth Gentleman Jas G
30    Ford Clerk to Messrs Whiteford and Bennett Solr Plymouth
31    Proved at London 24th July 1845 before the Worshipful Frederic
32    Thomas Pratt Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of Charles
33    Cobley Whiteford Esquire the sole Executor to whom admon was granted
34    having been first sworn duly to administer

No comments: