Friday, August 30, 2013

Will of John Blake, husbandman, Mannington, Dorset - The National Archives PROB 11/180/192, probated 20 May 1639

John Blake has not named any other Blake in his will. He mentions his brother Edmund Hart and his cousin Katherine Coshe, Katherine is to be his executrix.

Gussage All Saints is a parish about five miles south east of Mannington.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/lismd/dorset/churches/gussage-all-saints.html

There are three parish churches associated with Gussage and they are all with a couple of miles of each other. This area is to the north east of Blandford Forum or Blandford as it is commonly known.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 30 Aug 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/180/192
Testator: John Blake, husbandman
Place: Mannington, Dorset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 21 Nov 1638, probated 20 May 1639
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[estatment] Joh[ann]is
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 194

1    In the name of God Amen I John Blake of Mannnington
2    in the Countie of Dorset husbandman beinge sick and weake of bodie (but thankes be given
3    to God) of perfect minde and memory doe make this my last will and testament in mann[er]
4    and forme following First I bequeath my soule into the hands of Almightie God trusting
5    to be saved onlie by the merritts of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ and my bodie to bee
6    buried in the parish Churchyard of Gussage Alsaints Item I give to the Curch of Gussage
7    Alsaints twelve pence Item I give to the poore of the said parish two shillings Item
8    I give to my Brother Edmund Harts children each of them a sheepe Item all the rest
9    of my goods moveable and unmoveable I give unto my cozen Katherine Coshe whome
10    I make sole Executrix of this my last will and testament And doe request Edmund
11    Jelliff to be the Overseer hereof In witness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and
12    seale the one and twentieth daie of November in the yere of the raigne of our Sov[er]aigne
13    Lord Charles by the grace of God of England Scotland Fraunce and Ireland Kinge
14    defender of the faith etc the fowertenth Annoqz d[omi]ni one thowsand six hundred thirtie
15    eight sign Johis Blake This will published in the presence of Edmund Jellyffe sign
16    Susan Davye testd sign Margareta Blanchard test

No comments: