Saturday, August 31, 2013

Will of Joseph Blake gentleman now student in the University of Oxford, of Dorchester, Dorset - The National Archives PROB 11/321/47, probated 9 Jun 1666

The testator Joseph Blake was a student at the University of Oxford and checking the CD for Oxford I find only one Joseph Blake in this time frame and he was the son of Richard Blake of Andover (Richard having died in 1648). His mother was Joane Dashford and this is the first information that I have had that she remarried. This Joseph does have an Aunt Dorothy Smyth.

Richard was the eldest son of William Blake and Dorothy Madgwick who married 6 Feb 1606 at Andover. Richard married Joanne Dashford 9 Oct 1632 at Andover and they had eight children. Two sons William died as young children but all the daughters appear to have survived – Dorothy 1633, Jane 1636, Sara 1637, Ann 1639 and Elizabeth before 1647. Joseph does not mention his sisters though which does make one wonder about their survival. A hunt for the marriage of Joane Dashford/Blake with a Mr William T_osse (name is difficult to read on the will) does not produce any result.

Joseph Blake was interred at St Peters Church in Dorchester, Dorset 15 Feb 1665/66.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fordingtondorset/Files2/StPetersBurials1611-1700.html

Always interesting to find a will that you can fit into family lines however. Solving the transcription of his father in law's surname would be helpful and understanding why Joseph is of Dorchester, Dorset now.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 31 Aug 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/321/47
Testator: Joseph Blake, gentleman, now student in the University of Oxford
Place: Dorchester, Dorset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 1 Jul 1664, probated 9 Jun 1666
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[estatment] Josephj
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the name of God Amen
2    I Joseph Blake late of Dorchester in the County of Dorsett gent
3    and now a student in the University of Oxford being in perfect health
4    and sound memory for which I desire to be thankefull unto Almighty
5    God doe hereby revoke make null and voyd all former and other wills
6    and testaments by me at any tyme made And doe make and ordayne this
7    my last will and Testament in manner and forme following viz[ a vi]t First I
8    bequeath my Soule into the hands of Almighty God my creator and maker
9    stedfastly hopeing for and expecting eternall life and salva[t]ion only by the
10    merritts passion Satisfaction and media[t]ion of Jesus Christ my only Lord and
11    Saviour and after hereby appoint that my body be decently buried and
12    interred by and according to the discre[t]ion of myne executor hereafter
13    named Alsoe I give and bequeath unto my uncle Mr Thomas Warren
14    the summe of Twenty pounds Alsoe I give and bequeath unto all myne
15    Uncles and Aunts to every one of them a gold ring of Tenne shillings
16    apeece  And to Dorothy Smyth my Aunt eight pounds And Lastly
17    Whereas
    [Page 2]
18    Whereas my father in law Mr William T_osse hath taken much care and means
19    for preserva[t]ion of my estate and shown much love and kindness unto my nearest
20    and dearest rela[t]ions I doe hereby give and bequeath unto him all my goods
21    Chattells ready money Jewells plate and housholdstuffe And doe alsoe hereby
22    make and ordayne him my whole and sole executor of this my last will and
23    Testament In witness whereof I the said Joseph Blake have hereunto sett myne
24    hand and Seale the first day of July in the sixteenth yeare of the raigne of our
25    Soveraigne Lord Charles the second by the grace of god of England Scotland
26    France and Ireland King defender of the Faith etc Annoqz domini 1664 Jo: Blake
27    Signed sealed and Published in the presence of us Walt Foy Mary T_osse

No comments: