Saturday, August 10, 2013

Will of Richard Blake, Merchant, Exeter, Devon - The National Archives PROB 11/468/152, probated 22 Jan 1702/03

Richard Blake, the testator, mentions his cousin Elizabeth Kimpe (daughter of Alexander Kimpe of Wellington, Somerset) and his sister in law (his executrix) Johanna Crosse (daughter of John Crose of Trull, Somerset).

When I do the Somerset wills this may fit in with that grouping of wills. This is one of the set of Somerset wills found in “Abstracts of Somersetshire Wills” from the manuscript collection of the late Rev. Frederick Brown, M.A., F.S.A.

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2012/04/abstracts-of-blake-somersetshire-wills.html

There was an Alexander Kemp married to Elizabeth Brifford 19 Jun 1682 at West Buckland. This is perhaps the Alexander Kempe baptized 23 Aug 1653 at Combe Florey, Somerset and the son of Alexander Kempe. I could not find an Elizabeth Kimp/Kemp record in Family Search or Find My Past that would fit into this time frame.

None of the Blake Somerset wills that I transcribed earlier relate to this will.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 9 Aug 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/468/152
Testator: Richard Blake, Merchant
Place: Exeter, Devon, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 31 Mar 1690, probated 22 Jan 1702/03
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[esta]m[ent]
[Margin]: Richard Blake

1    In the name of God Amen I Richard
2    Blake of the citty of Exeter Merchant being in reasonable good health of
3    body and of sound and perfect mind and memory (praised bee God) doe make and
4    ordaine this my last Will and Testament in manner following Imprimis and before
5    all things else I commend my soule into the hands of Almighty God my blessed
6    Saviour and Redeemer and my Body to the earth to be decently and Christianly
7    buried according to the discretion of my Executrix hereinafter named and
8    concerning The things of this present life wherewith God hath blessed mee
9    I give and dispose thereof in manner following Imprimis I give and bequeath
10    unto my Couzen Elizabeth Kimpe the daughter of Alexander Kimpe late of
11    Wellington in the County of Somerset Gent deceased the full Summe of Fifty
12    pounds of lawfull English mony Item All the Rest of my goods and Chattells
13    not hereinbefore given or bequeathed my debts Legacy and funeral charges
14    first desrayed and paid I give and bequeath unto my sister in law Johanna
15    Crosse the daughter of my Father in law John Crose of Trull in the said county
16    of Somerset Gent whom |I make and ordain sole Executrix of this my last will and
17    Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and seale this one and
18    Thirtieth day of March Anno D[om]ini 1690 And in the second yeare of the Reigne of
19    our Soveraigne Lord and Lady William and Mary by the grace of God of
20    England Scotland France and Ireland King and Queene Defender of the Faith
21    etc Richard Blake Sealed Signed and published in the presence of us Edward
22    Martin John Carter Jun.

No comments: