Monday, August 26, 2013

Will of William Blake, Superannuated Blacksmith of Her Majestys Dock Yard Devonport, at Stoke Damerel, Devon - The National Archives PROB 11/1899/65, probated 16 Aug 1838

This is the last Blake will I have for Devon from the Prerogative Court of Canterbury up to 1858.

William Blake is the testator and he is married to Hannah with his youngest son being named as George Moses Blake. From Family Search C06360-1, George Moses Blake, son of William and Hannah Blake was born 3 Apr 1829 and baptized 1 Jun 1829 at Morrice St-Wesleyan, Devonport.  George married Hannah Dunn in 10 Jun 1857 at St George, East Stonehouse, Plymouth, Devon. He was 28 and she was 28 and his father was listed as William Blake and her father as John Dunn (from Find My Past).

On the 1841 census George Moses Blake is living on Lambert Ope with Robert Perkins a shipwright and he is listed as 12 years of age.

William was buried 20 May 1838 from 57 Charlotte Street, Marine Town, at Ebenezer/Central Hall Methodist in Plymouth and he was 56 years of age. Hannah Blake was buried from Lamberts Ope[ning] Devonport at the age of 69 years 20 Sep 1849 at Ebenezer/Central Hall Methodist in Plymouth.

I also found a second son Samuel Blake who was born 11 Apr 1819 and baptized 3 May 1819 at Morrice St-Wesleyan, Devonport for this couple (Family Search).

There is also a daughter Hannah born 24 Dec 1816 and baptized 3 Feb 1817 at Morrice St-Wesleyan, Devonport born to this couple (Family Search).

There is a marriage for William Blake and Hannah Love 4 Dec 1815 at Saint Marys, Portsea, Hampshire (Family Search M06261-2).

There is a William Blake born 27 Jan 1782 and baptized 3 Mar 1783 at Stoke Damerel, Devon son of Charles and Elizabeth Blake. Possibly this is Charles Blake (Seaman) of his Majesty’s Ship the Somerset, married to Elizabeth Gouge in the parish of St Andrews, Plymouth, Devon 20 Sep 1773.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 26 Aug 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1899/65
Testator: William Blake, Supperanuated Blacksmith of Her Majestys Dock Yard Devonport
Place: Stoke Damerel, Devon, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 7 Apr 1838, probated 16 Aug 1838
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 4

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I William Blake Supperanuated Blacksmith of her Majestys Dock Yard
3    Devonport now residing in the parish of Stoke Damerel in the County of devon
4    while I am in health and of sound mind and memory and understanding praised
5    be God for the same do make this my last Will and Testament in manner
6    and form as herein written that is to say First I give and bequeath unto
7    my loving wife Hannah Blake in case she should survive me All my real
8    and personal property whatsoever and wheresoever together with all my
9    Goods and Chattels and Effects and also a dwelling house situated in Lamberts
10    Ope[ning] Inn Devonport to have and to hold for the remainder of the term which
11    shall be then unexpired and also all monies which may be due at my decease
12    from the Blacksmiths Club and to be subject to the payment of all my just debts
13    and all my funeral expences But in case my dear Wife Hannah Blake should
14    be called home from this world before me then I give and bequeath all my
15    real and personal property goods and Chattels together with the aforesaid dwelling
16    house situate in Lamberts Ope Devonport and all other properties I hold In my
17    possession and also all monies which may be due to me at my decease from
18    the aforesaid Blacksmiths death Club commonly called Bennetts Club amounting
19    to about twelve pounds The whole of which I give and bequeath unto my youngest
20    Son George Moses Blake now about nine years of age and also to subject to the
21    payment of all my just debts and funeral expences And I also  nominate and
22    appoint Mr William Codner Shipwright of Devonport and also Mr John Eastabrook
23    Smith Executors of this my last Will and Testament ratifying and confirming
24    this and no other In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal
25    this seventh day of April one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight
26    Signed sealed published and declared by the said William Blake as his last
27    will and Testament In the presence of us who in his presence and in the presence
28    of each other have hereunto subscribed our names William Blake
29    William Codner John Eastabrook
30    Proved at London 16th Aug 1838 before the Judge by the Oath of
31    William Codner and John Eastabrook the Executors to whom Admon was granted
32    having been first sworn (by Comm[issi]on) duly to administer.

No comments: