Friday, September 13, 2013

Will of William Blake, Master Mariner, of Poole, Dorset - The National Archives PROB 11/1547/161

William Blake, Master Mariner, is the testator. This is the last will for Dorset and I will move on to Durham where there is one will (10 pages) for Sir Francis Blake of Twisel Castle. This is followed by Essex with 14 wills.

From Find My Past, Baptisms at St James Poole, Dorset

Mary Blake daughter of William and Mary 27 Feb 1774
William Blake son of William and Mary 12 Jan 1777
Richard Blake son of William and Mary 22 Mar 1778
Samuel Blake son of William and Mary 26 Nov 1780.

There is a marriage at Twyford, Hampshire (3.25 miles south of Winchester) between Mary Tee (widow) and William Blake 24 Jun 1770.

The baptisms could be the family in the will below with Mary eldest (and she is married to Richard Saunders) and then William, Richard and Samuel and this is the order in the will below for these sons.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 13 Sep 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1547/161
Testator: William Blake, Master Mariner
Place: Poole, Dorset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 17 Apr 1802, probated 13 Aug 1813
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 5

1    This is the last Will and Testament of me
2    William Blake of the Town and County of Poole Master Mariner
3    which I make in manner following (that is to say) I order and direct my
4    just debts Funeral Expences and the Charges of the probate of this my
5    Will to be first paid and satisfied discharged out of my Estate and Effects
6    hereinafter bequeathed in equal proportions I Give and devise unto
7    my Son William Blake all that my dwelling house with the Two
8    Turfhouse and appurt[enance]s thereunto belonging situate on the South
9    side of Strand Street in Poole aforesaid now in the occupation of
10    Widow Hiscroff bound by Pinnel Phipards Bake house on the
11    West the Rand Street on the North a passage dividing the same
12    from a Garden belonging to James Seymour on the East and by Land
13    belonging Thomas Strickland Wheelwright on the South To hold to
14    him my said Son William his heirs and assigns forever I give
15    and bequeath unto my Son Samuel Blake all my Cloathes and wearing
16    apparel I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary Saunders
17    Wife of Richard Saunders of Sopley in the County of Southampton
18    Master Mariner All my household Goods and Furniture plate
19    Linen and China to and for her own use And I give and bequeath
20    all my Ready Money and debts due to me and all other my Estate
21    and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever not herein otherwise disposed
22    of unto my Sons William Blake Richard Blake and Samuel Blake
23    and my said daughter Mary Saunders to be equally divided between
24    them share and share alike and to their respective heirs Ex[ecut]ors Adm[inistrat]ors
25    and assigns aabsolutely for ever And lastly revoking all former Wills
26    by me made I declare this only to be my last Will and Testament In
27    Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and Seal this Seventeenth
28    day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred
29    and two Wm Blake Signed Sealed published and declared by the
30    said William Blake the Testator as and for and to be his last Will and
31    Testament in the presence of us who at his request in his presence
32    and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as
33    Witnesses thereto the said Testator being as the same time of sound mine
34    memory and understanding John Dobell Tho[ma]s Parr W[ilia]m Thresher
35    On the 13th August 1813 Admon (with the will annexes) of the Goods of Wm
36    Blake late of Poole in the County Dorset dec[ease]d was granted to Wm
37    Blake the son and one of the Residuary Legatees he being first Sworn (by
38    Comm[issi]on duly to administer – no Executor

No comments: