Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Blake families at Bath, Somerset

I received an interesting email from a descendant of one of the Blake families at Bath. I will spend a bit of time searching out the details and post a rather interesting family line later. The writer mentions that the Blake family at Bath in the plumbing business were actually from Wootton Bassett Wiltshire. Of course any Blake family that has its roots in Wiltshire immediately attracts my attention in that no one has ever tested their yDNA from known Wiltshire Blake lines. It always bring me back to the notion carried by many about the Blake family of Wiltshire that they are a singleton family.

The yDNA study for Blake sits at 49 and includes the haplogroups I1, I2, R1b, R1a, T1 and G. Quite a variety across the spectrum of yDNA. Most of the people in the project are citizens of the United States of America and more likely to predominate in haplogroups because of singleton ancestors emigrating to the American colonies although there will be newer lines as well. The Canadian Blake family is principally Irish but also from Britain (my own line although my line did not come until 1913 with my grandparents and father).

As the study grows we will have a geater understanding of the Blake family and how it arose within the British Isles.

No comments: