Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Will of Elizabeth Blake, widow of Clevedon, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/2155/412, probated 27 Jul 1852

The testatrix is Elizabeth Blake of Clevedon, Somerset and she was a widow. The marriage of her son John (Royal Artillery) to Sophia Helen Barrow (youngest daughter of Lieutenant Colonel Barrow) was celebrated at St Marys Church, Taunton 18 June 1833 as mentioned in The Gentleman’s Magazine (London, England), Volume 153 on page 558. The witnesses to this marriage were Charles Barrow and Mary Luson.

The marriage of Anna M Blake to William Addison was celebrated at Taunton St James 19 Apr 1831 (groom was of St Mary Magdalen) and this marriage by licence.

I did find John Blake and his wife Sophia and daughter Julia on the 1851 census at Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. He is a retired Lieutenant in the Royal Artillery and 56 years of age. His wife is 41 years of age and their daughter 20 years of age. John is born in Devonshire, his wife in the East Indies and their daughter in Paris, France. A rather interesting find since I now know that this is perhaps a Devonshire Blake family.

On the 1861 census at Bath, Somerset, John Blake is listed as born in Devonport, Devonshire and a Lieutenant on half pay in the Royal Artillery aged 66 years, his wife Sophia Helen was born in Madras, East Indies aged 51, Emily Blundell Blake their daughter, unmarried and 22 years of age born in France.

On the 1871 census at Bath, Somerset, John Blake listed as 76 years of age, Captain in the Royal Artillery, born in Devonport Devon, his wife Sophia Helen listed as 61 years of age and born in Madras East India.

Is this John a son of William Blake of Devonport, who was a brother to Samuel Blake of Sherborne and his will blogged:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/09/will-of-samuel-blake-yeoman-of.html

I could not learn anything about William Blake of Devonport earlier but if his wife was Elizabeth that could be helpful.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 30 Sep 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2155/412
Testator: Elizabeth Blake, widow
Place: Clevedon, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 25 Feb 1851, probated 27 Jul 1852
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Elizabeth
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 4

1    This is the last Will and Testament
2    of me Elizabeth Blake of Clevedon in the County of Somerset Widow I
3    give and bequeath unto my dear Son John Blake of Cheltenham Esquire
4    Ret. And my friend John Nicholas Bennett of Plymouth Gentleman their
5    executors and administrators All my money and securities for money
6    furniture plate linen Estate and Effects whatsoever except the articles herein
7    after excepted upon trust for the sole and separate use benefit and disposition
8    of my dear daughter Anna Maria Addison the Wife of Mr William
9    Addison as and for her sole and separate estate independent of her said
10    husband and to be free from his control debts and engagements I except from the
11    above general bequest my picture of Louis the 16th of France the Portrait of
12    Squire Maurice of Saxony and my silver sugar basin which I give and
13    bequeath to my said dear Son John Blake and I also give him after my said
14    daughters decease the Portrait of myself and my diamond emerald ring I
15    give my dear grandson Charles my Writing desk To my dear daughter in
16    law Sophia Helen I give my Garnet ring and black embroidered shawl and
    [Page 2]
17    and to my dear granddaughter Julia Catherine my Pearl Brooch And I hereby
18    express my desire that whatever of my property may be existing at the time
19    of my daughters death she will give to my three grandchildren Elizabeth
20    Sophia George Frederic and Emily Blundell Blake equally and alike I hereby
21    appoint my said Son John Blake and my said friend John Nicholas Bennett
22    Executors of this my said Will dated this 25th day of February 1851 Elizabeth
23    Blake Signed published and declared by the said Elizabeth Blake as and for
24    her last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in her presence at her
25    request and in the presence of each other at the same time have hereunto subscri-
26    bed our names as Witnesses John Maynard Clevedon Louisa Maynard
27    Proved at London 27th July 1852 before The Judge by the oaths of John
28    Blake Esquire the Son and John Nicholas Bennett Esquire the Executors to
29    whom Admon was granted having been first sworn by Comon duly to ad[minister]r

No comments: