Monday, October 21, 2013

Will of Mary Blake at Bath, Somerset - The National Archives PROB 11/1132/297, probated 9 Aug 1785

This family has perhaps come to “take the waters” at Bath possibly Mary the testatrix was ill and this was a hoped for remedy. Although they may be from Norfolk that isn’t conclusive and with the names John and Mary Blake probably difficult to ascertain.

Looking at the land records would possibly answer that question. A search on the National Archives (UK) website did bring up four documents with the search key “East Dereham Norfolk Mary” but would need to look at the documents to see if one of these couples are the parents of Mary. I will leave it for the moment.

The Verdon family may be a clue.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 19 Oct 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1132/297
Testator: Mary Blake
Place: Bath, Somerset, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 22 Jul 1785, probated 9 Aug 1785
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Mary
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Mary Blake of the City of Bath in the County of
3    Somersetshire being mindful of my mortality do this twenty
4    second day of July in the Year of our Lord 1785 make
5    and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner
6    manner following First I desire to be decently and
7    privately buried in St James’s Church without any
8    Funeral pomp and as little Expence as may be And I
9    give and devise to my dear husband John Blake all
10    rhat my whole Freehold Messuage and Tenement situate lying
11    And being at East dearham in the County of Norfolk to
12    Have and to hold to my said husband his heirs and
13    Assigns for ever
14    Also I give and bequeath unto the Reverend
15    Mr Priest one of my Trustees the sum of 50.0.0
16    I give and bequeath Mr Wigg the other Trustee the sum 50.0.0
17    I give and bequeath unto Miss Ester Pigwey the sum of 50.0.0
18    I give and bequeath unto Charlotte Croffe my
19    God daughter the sum of 50.0.0
20    I give and bequeath to my cousin Tho[ma]s
21    Verdon his Widow Child or Children the Sum of 50.0.0
22    I give and bequeath to my cousin Pain Verdon the Sum of 50.0.0
23    I give and bequeath to my Cousin Sam[ue]l Verdon the Sum of 50.0.0
24    I give and bequeath to my Cousin Eliza Sprag the Interest of 50.0.0
25    And at her death the principal to her daughter
26    Penelope Verdon And finally all the Rest Residue and
27    remainder of all my Estate and Effects Real and personal
28    Wwhatsoever and wheresoever not herein Before disposed
29    of I do give and devise unto my said husband John
30    Blake to and for his own use and benefit ______ I
31    do hereby constitute and appoint my said husband
32    John Blake sole Executor of this my last Will and
33    Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto set
34    my hand and seal the twenty second day of July in the
35    Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty
36    fve Mary Blake Signed sealed published as
37    for her last Will and Testament in the presence of us
38    who subscribed our Names as Witnesses of the
39    testatrix’s presence and at her request Jasper Gay
40    Bridget George Sally Hayman
41    This Will was proved at London the ninth
42    day of August in the Year of our Lord one thousand
43    seven hundred and eighty five before the Right
44    Worshipful Peter Calvert doctor of Laws Master
45    Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court of
46    Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath of John
47    Blake the husband of the deceased and sole Executor
48    named in the aid Will to whom administration
49    sas granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels
50    and Credits of the said deceased he having been
51    first sworn by Commission duly to administer.

No comments: