Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Will of Charles Blake, Upholsterer, Salisbury, Wiltshire - The National Archives PROB 11/375/449, probated 8 Apr 1684

The testator, Charles Blake, would appear to be the grandson of Charles Blake whose will was blogged yesterday. Charles identifies his father as Charles Blake of Chilhampton.

Charles, the testator, identifies his brothers as Richard Blake and Christopher Blake and his sisters as Mary Chalke, Ann Chase and Martha Blake. He has a cousin Charles Gilbert that is rather interesting to me.

Discovering the origins of the Blake family at South Newton could be rather revealing for the Blake families found in the Wiltshire/Hampshire area especially given that the Gilbert family and the Blake family also intermarried at Andover.

His father Charles Blake is still living in l684 and he was known to have been baptized at South Newton 2 Oct 1631. His marriage lines I have not yet found but if he married by 1652 then this son could be as old as 31. He does not have a wife so is probably a fairly young adult perhaps only in  his mid 20s although he is in business as an upholsterer.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 25 Nov 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/375/449
Testator: Charles Blake, Upholsterer
Place: Salisbury, Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 5 Mar 1683/84, probated 8 Apr 1684
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[esta]m[ent] Carolus
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen the
2    fifth day of March in the yeare of our Lord God 1683/4 Charles Blake of the
3    Citty New Sarum in the County of Wilts Upholsterer being sick and weake of body
4    but of perfect minde and memory thanks be given unto God therefore calling unto
5    minde the mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men ev[er]ie
6    to die Doe make and ordaine this my last will and Testament in manner and
7    forme following that is to say First and principally I give my Soule into the hands of
8    God who gave it mee and for my body I commend it to the earth to be buried in
9    Christian and decent manner in the Church of St Thomas nothing doubting but
10    at the general resurrection I shall receive the same againe by the mighty power of
11    God And as touching such worldly estate as it hath pleased God to blesse mee
12    in this life I give devise bequeath and dispose the same in manner and forme
13    following Imp[rimi]s I give and bequeath for the good will I beare unto my brother
14    Richard Blake a hundred and Fifty pound and the Lease of the house I now
15    dwell in Item I give and bequeath unto my sister Mary Chalke Five pounds
16    Item I give and bequeath to my Sister Anne Chase Tenne pounds Item I
17    give and bequeath to my Brother Christopher Tenne pounds Item I give
18    and bequeath to my sister Martha Tenne pounds Item I give my Cousen
19    Charles Gilbert halfe a peece And of this my last Will I make and ordaine my
20    dearly beloved Father Charles Blake of Chilhampton in the parish of
21    Southnewton in the County of Wilts aforesaid and my Brother Richard Blake
22    of New Sarum aforesaid my joint Executors and I doe hereby utterly revoke
23    and Annull all other Testaments Wills Legacies bequests and Executors by
24    mee in any wise before this time named willed and bequeathed ratifying and
25    confirmeing this and noe other to bee my laste will and Testament In witness
26    whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and seale the day and yeare above written
27    Signed Sealed pronounced and declared by the said Charles Blake as his last
28    will and Testament in the presence of us the marke of Katherine Stansmoore
29    the marke of Robert Styles Charles Gilbert Memorand[um] that at the Swearing
30    and examining of the Witnesses the said witnesses did sweare and declare that
31    they heard the Will read and published and the reason of his not signeing
32    nor sealing was because he was both blind and very weake in the small pox
33    soe that he was not able to doe it these words were spoken in the presence of us Sam: Iscotte Hugh Frome No[ta]ry Publicke

No comments: