Friday, November 29, 2013

Will of Elinor alias Eleanor Blake of Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire - The National Archives PROB 11/1516/434, probated 28 Nov 1810

Elinor Blake is the testatrix and I have not yet determined if she was of the City of London originally or of Ashton Keynes, Wiltshire. Close by to Ashton Keynes is Somerford Keynes (2 miles), Cirencester (5 miles).

The marriage of Christian Blake and Robert Swaysland was celebrated 6 April 1779 at Saint Clement Danes, Westminster, London, England (M04160-1 Family Search).

There is a Sarah Stafford, widow, 66 years of age, born in 1785 on the 1851 Census at Newington, Surrey and she was born at Newington, Surrey (Stockwell, Surrey is a chapelry parish at Lambeth). I could not discover if her maiden name was Blake.

Is George Renals her brother George Blake? Perhaps the Surrey wills will shed some light on this family.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 28 Nov 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1516/434
Testator: Elinor alias Eleanor Blake
Place: As[h]ton Keynes, Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 17 Aug 1807, probated 28 Nov 1810
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Elinor
[Margin]: oth[erw]ise
[Margin]: Eleanor
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 6

1    I Elinor Blake late of Bermondsey in the
2    City of London but now of Aston Keynes in the County of Wilts do
3    make and ordain this writing to be my last will and Testament in manner and
4    form following viz [a vit] I give bequeath to my Sister Christian Swaisland
5    wife of Robert Swaisland now residing at No 16 Maglin Street London
6    the Interest of Two hundred pounds now out at Interest during
7    the term of her natural life and at her decease I give and bequeath
8    the aforesaid sum of Two hundred pounds with all the Interest that may be due or remaining unpaid on the said Sum of two hundred pounds to be equally divided
9    betwixt the four following persons viz [a vit] George or otherwise Renals
10    Butcher now residing at No 50 Tooly Street London Elinor Swaisland
11    the daughter of Christian Swaisland Mary Manning the daughter of Sam[ue]l
12    Manning of the Town of Cirencester Cordwainer and Elinor Manning
13    the daughter of the said Samuel Manning Cirencester aforesaid to be
14    equally divided betwixt them in four equal parts I give and
15    bequeath to Sarah Stafford the wife of ___ Stafford of Stockwell Cordwainer
16    I give and bequeath to John Manning the Son of Samuel Manning
17    of Cirencester likewise I give unto Elinor Swaisland and Elizabeth Stinler
18    each of them the sum of five pounds apiece to be paid at the time of
19    my decease I give unto William Blake the Son of my Bro[the]r George
20    to be paid at the time of my decease the Sum of twenty pounds I
21    give unto George the Son of my Bro[the]r George Blake the Sum of
22    Twenty pounds to be paid at my decease all the rest and residue of my
23    money I give and bequeath unto Thomas Selby of Ashton Keynes
24    his two daughters viz [a vit] the wife of Isaac Mathews and the wife of Jno
25    White both of Somerford in the County of Wilts I likewise give and
26    bequeath unto Mary White my Chest of Drawers my will and desire
27    is that this my last mentioned property shall be equally divided
28    betwixt my Bro[th]er in law Thomas Selby and his two daughters as aforesaid
29    and I do nominate and appoint George or otherwise  Renals to be the Executor
30    of this my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I have
31    hereunto set my hand and seal that is my hand to the first part and my hand and Seal to this second part this seventeenth
32    day of August in the Year of our Lord 1807 Elinor Blake
33    Signed sealed and declared in our presence and we in her presence
34    and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as
35    Witnesses to the execution thereof John Savory Esther Savory
36    Proved at London 28th November 1810 before the worshipful John
37    Danbury d[octo]r of Laws and Surr[oga]te by the oath of George she app[ointed] other[wise]
38    Renals described in the will George otherwise Renals the sole Executor
39    being sworn to administer

No comments: