Thursday, December 19, 2013

Will of Joseph Blake, Gentleman, New Sarum, Wiltshire - The National Archives PROB 11/347/145, probated 8 Feb 1675

Joseph Blake is the testator and it is a rather interesting will. He names his brother as Nicholas and two sisters Bridget and Marie. His mother has either been married before she married Blake or remarried as he has siblings with the surname Chauncery. His grandmother is Joane Pitman and he has an Uncle possibly John Pitman who signed as witness. He mentions Enham and does he mean Knights Enham. I can not find him in Charlou Dolan’s writeup on the Robert Blake family of Enham. I have transcribed the parish registers for Knights Enham but they do not begin until after 1675.

http://www.kipp-blake-families.ca/elizabethmain.htm

He does not appear in the Andover Parish Registers (transcribed up to 1757 but not yet published).

Interesting that he too is at Salisbury and near Laverstock but he does not fit into the Nicholas Blake/Jone Question family in that his Grandmother has the surname Pitman (and his uncle is also Pitman).

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 18 Dec 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/347/145
Testator: Joseph Blake, Gentleman
Place: New Sarum (Salisbury), Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: undated, probated 8 Feb 1675
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[estament]
[Margin]: Joseph Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Joseph Blake of the Cittie of New Sarum in the Countie of Wilts
3    Gent being sicke of bodie but of sence and good memorie doe make and ordaine this
4    my last will and Testament etc Imprimis I bequeath my Soule unto Almightie
5    God my Creataur trusting through the merits of Christ Jesus my Redeemer
6    that after this life I shall live with him forever Item I desire to be buried in
7    Enham Church as neare as may be unto my deare deceased Mother and I doe
8    allowe Tene pounds to defray the charges of my Funerall out of the moneys
9    due to mee from my brother Nicholas Blake Item I doe give to my Sister Bridgett
10    Blake twentie pounds which is my Uncle Pitmans hand and six Silver
11    Spoones which I have by mee Item I give to my sister Marie Fifteene pounds
12    which is in Master Thomas Brathwaites hands the minister of Clough Inham
13    Item I doe give to my Sister Elizabeth Chauncery my bed with all belong-
14    ing for it Item I doe give to father in Lawe Chauncery fower pounds Item I doe
15    give to my brother Ezziell Chauncery my three Sheepe going with my Grand-
16    Mother Pittman Item I doe give unto my brother Charles Chauncery my Two
17    Trunckes Item I doe give unto my brother Nicholas Blake a five shilling piece in
18    gold Item the residue of the moneys which will be due unto mee from my brother
19    Nicholas Blake at my decease I doe give unto my Grand Mother Pitman whome
20    I nominate Sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament Witnessed by
21    John Pitman Mary Jacob

No comments: