Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Will of John Blake, Easton by Stamford, Northamptonshire - The National Archives PROB 11/221/257, probated 31 Mar 1652

This will too was misfiled in Hampshire by me, John Blake the testator is of Easton by Stamford. This would appear to be Easton on the Hill which actually lies in Northamptonshire and is 3 miles south west of Stamford. There are seven more wills for Northamptonshire but none this old (all the rest are from the 1800s). But there are three wills from Lincolnshire which might be interesting and I will try to remember to do these two counties one after the other. The wills in Lincolnshire include Christopher Blake 1742, John Blake 1539 and John Blake 1556.

Perhaps more information later when these wills are transcribed. His children were identified as James, Christopher, Mary, Elizabeth and an unborn child.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 8 Jan 2014
Source: The National Archives PROB 11/221/257
Testator: John Blake
Place: Easton by Stamford, Northamptonshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 6 Sep 1651, probated 31 Mar 1652
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[esta]m[ent] Johanne
[Margin]: Blake
[Top]: The last will and testament of John Blake
[Top]: Inhabitant in the Towne of Easton by Stamford

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    thanks be to god being of perfect memory though weake in body I bequeath my soule into
3    the hands of god who gave it and my body to be buried in the Church or Churchyard of
4    Easton aforesaid Item my goods I bestowe in manner following To my daughter Elizabeth
5    I give Forty pounds to be paid on the day of her marriage I give to my daughter Ann
6    the sume of twenty pounds to be paid on the day of her marriage I give to my sonne
7    James and my sonne Christopher my Coppiehold in Easton after my wifes decease
8    and five ewes and lambes to each of them when they are ten yeares old I give to my
9    daughter Mary the sume of ten pounds and five ewes and lambes the mony to
10    be paid on the day of her marriage and the ewes and lambes to be given for the
11    proffitt when she is ten yeares old My will  is that if my wife be safe delivered
12    and the child attaine to twenty one yeares that be it boy or girle it shall have twenty
13    pound Of this my last will and testament I make my wife sole Executrix In wittnes
14    whereof I have sett to my hand and seale this sixeth day of September 1651 John Blake
15    Sealed in the presence of Jonathan Holled Rector John Browne the marke of James
16    Blake sen[io]r
17    This will was proved at London the last day of March in the yeare of our Lord god
18    one thousand six hundred Fifty two before S[i]r Nathaniel Benent knight doctor of Laws
19    Master or Keeper of the Prerogative Court by the oath of Elizabeth Blake the Relict of the
20    said deceased and Executrix named therein to whom was comitted administration of
21    all and singular the goods chattels and debts of the said deceased shee being first
22    by Comnmission legally sworne well and truly to administer the same

No comments: