Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Will of William Blake, Tailor, Trowbridge, Wiltshire - The National Archives PROB 11/1871/19, probated 5 Jan 1837

William Blake, Tailor, Trowbridge, Wiltshire is the testator. He has written his will in 1813 and it was not probated until 1837. He names his wife Jane and his children as Ann, Maria, Harriet, John, Charles and James. There is a Charles Blake, tailor at Trowbridge who leaves his will in 1802 and this will is available. It could prove to be interesting for this family – could he perhaps be the father of William Taylor, the testator?

Just at a quick glance, I did find Charles Blake tailor 41 years and born in Wiltshire at St Peter Marlborough on the 1841 census with wife Margaret 41 years, son Frederick 15 years, neither born in Wiltshire and Harriet 10, Ebenezer 6 both born in Wiltshire. Moving forward to 1851 also at St Peter Marlborough I find Charles Blake, 51 years, tailor and draper born at Trowbridge with his wife Margaret also 51 born at Newgate Kent with son Frederick 25, tailor’s apprentice and born at London, Middlesex.

On the 1871 Census I did find Margaret, head, widow, 71 years, private income and her son Ebenezer, unmarried, 36 years of age, Chemist (master) living at Marlborough Wiltshire.

The will of Charles Blake P31/1/10/285 1867 tailor at Marlborough and this will has been scanned so another future purchase likely which might provide more information on this particular family.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 1 Jan 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1871/19
Testator: William Blake, Tailor
Place: Trowbridge, Wiltshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 2 Nov 1813, probated 5 Jan 1837
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 8

1    This is the Last Will and Testament
2    of me William Blake of Trowbridge in the County of Wilts Tailor I give devise and
3    bequeath unto my Wife Jane all that my Freehold Tenement or dwellinghouse together
4    with the outhouses and appurtenances thereunto belonging situate and being near the
5    Market Place in Trowbridge aforesaid and wherein I now reside to hold to her my
6    said Wife for and during the term of her natural life she keeping the same in
7    tenantable repair and condition Also I give and bequeath unto my said Wife all
8    and singular my Personal Estate Chattels and Effects household Goods and Furniture
9    of every description debts monies and securities for money which I may die possessed
10    of To hold to her my said Wife for and during her natural life for her own sole use
11    and enjoyment subject nevertheless to the payment of my just debts funeral expences
12    and the expence of proving my said Will and seeing the same carried into effect and
13    from and immediately after the decease of my said Wife I give devise and bequeath
14    my said Freehold Tenement or dwellinghouse and premises before mentioned together
15    also with the whole of my said personal Estate and Effects as aforesaid unto my two
16    good Friends Samuel Cook of the City of Bristol and Philip Caddy of Trowbridge
17    aforesaid Grocer upon trust that they or the survivor of them or the heirs executors
18    or administrators of such survivor do and shall cause the same and every part thereof to
19    be sold either by Public Auction of Private sale for the best of most money that
20    can or may be had or gotten for the same and the money to arise therefrom (subject
21    to the payment of my just debts and funeral expences as aforesaid) do and shall
22    pay and equally divide amongst and between my daughters Ann, Maria and
23    Harriet and my Sons John Charles and James or such of them as shall be then
24    living share and share alike but in case either of my said Sons and Daughters before
25    named should happen to die before my said Wife and leaving issue of his her or
26    their body or bodies lawfully begotten then upon trust to pay and apply the share of
27    him her or them so dying unto such his her or their respective issue whether male
28    or female equally between them share and share alike and if only one such child then
29    to such only Child as they my said trustees or the survivor of them his heirs ex[ecut]ors
30    or administrators shall in their discretion think fit and proper and it is my will
31    and desire that my said trustees or either of them shall not be answerable or
32    accountable for any more of the trust monies or estate than shall actually come to
33    his own hands respectively and not the one for the other of them but each of them
34    for their own acts receipts deeds and wilful defaults only and that they shall and may
35    reimburse themselves out of the trust monies which shall respectively come to their
36    hands all such costs charges and expences as they or either of them may be put to under
37    and by virtue of the trusts hereby in them reposed And lastly I hereby nominate
38    constitute and appoint my said Wife Jane and the said Samuel Cook Executrix
39    and Executor of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former and
40    other Wills by me at any time heretofore made In Witness whereof I have to this
41    my Will contained on one sheet of paper set my hand and seal the second day of
43    November one thousand eight hundred and thirteen Wm Blake
44    Signed Sealed published and declared by the said William Blake the Testator
45    as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence and
46    in the presence of each other at his request have subscribed our names as Witnesses
47    thereto the word “they” having been first interlined Wm Guley Thomas Martin
48    Henry Crabb
49    Proved at London 5th January 1837 before the Judge by the Oath of Jane
50    Blake widow the Relict the surviving Executor to whom Adm[inistrati]on was granted having
51    been first Sworn by Commission duly to administer

No comments: