Saturday, April 19, 2014

Will of Anne Augusta Blake, widow, Bristol - The National Archives PROB 11/2065/303, probated 8 Dec 1847

Anne Augusta Blake is the testatrix and a writeup can be found in The Gentleman’s Magazine, Volume 182 page 667:

4 Nov 1847, Aged 84. Anne Augusta Blake, relict of Richard Blake, esquire and daughter of the late Very Reverend Charles Harward, formerly Dean of Exeter. Anne Augusta Harward would have been born circa 1763.

There is a monument in St Stephen’s Parish Church, Bristol erected by Anne Augusta Blake to commemorate her husband Richard Blake who died in 1829. http://www.speel.me.uk/sculptplaces/bristolststephen.htm
The Gentleman’s Magazine (London, England), Volume 146 page 188 notes that Richard Blake, esquire, a member of the Corporation died 6Aug 1829.

In an earlier will that I transcribed I picked up the following item:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/will-of-sarah-blake-spinster-cotleigh.html

In the Gentleman’s Magazine and Historical Review, Volume 61, Part 2 under Marriages and Deaths of Eminent Persons I found on page 680 for July 14, 1791:

At Plymtree, Devon, Richard Blake, esquire. Merchant, of Bristol, to Miss Harward, daughter of the Dean of Exeter. Later in the Harward family the name “Blake” was used as a middle name (namely the monumental inscriptions at Plymtree as noted in the following website:

http://www.plymtree.org.uk/st-john-the-baptist/churchyard-and-monument-inscriptions

I do not know how Richard fits into the Plymtree Blake family as he is not mentioned in William Blake’s will of 1812:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/will-of-william-blake-esquire-of.html

The introduction to the will of Thomas Blake at Plymtree 1777 does mention a Richard Blake but I have not been able to locate him in the family or trace him down.

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2013/08/will-of-william-blake-esquire-of.html

More information found on this Blake line in Gloucestershire Notes and Queries Volume 3 blogged:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2014/04/1248-blake-family-gloucestershire-notes.html 

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 11 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2065/303
Testator: Anne Augusta Blake, Widow
Place: Bristol, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 1 Apr 1843, probated 8 Dec 1847
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Anne
[Margin]: Augusta
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 5

1    This is the last Will and Testament
2    of me Anne Augusta Blake of the City of Bristol widow and Relict
3    and Universal devisee and Legatee of Richard Blake of the same City Esquire
4    deceased I appoint the Reverend John Noble Shipton of Othery near Bridg-
5    water in the County of Somerset Cleric Sole Executor of this my Will and I
6    bequeath to him the sum of fifty pounds sterling as a token of my esteem
7    and in acknowledgement of his kindness in undertaking the execution of this my
8    Will I give and devise all that my Freehold Estate called Holl situate in the
9    Parish of Saint Veepe in the County of Cornwall with all appurtenances thereto
10    belonging unto my Nephew the Reverend Charles Harward his heirs and
11    assigns for ever I give and bequeath unto my Nephew Henry Marsh the
12    Sum of one hundred pounds sterling and I give and bequeath unto my Niece
13    Charlotte Catherine Gordon the Sum of fifty pounds sterling and I give and bequeath
14    all my Books and plate unto and equally between my Great Nieces Anne Augusta
15    Archer and Elizabeth Archer and I give and bequeath unto my faithful and at-
16    tentative servant Elizabeth Moorman in case she shall be living with me at the
17    time of my decease the Sum of eighty pounds sterling and all my wearing
18    apparel of every description and my bed and Table Linen and all the Furniture
19    of my own Bed Room and all my kitchen Furniture and Culinary utensils the
20    same to be paid free from Legacy duty which I want to be paid out of my residuary personal Estate and I direct all the said
21    Legacies to be paid and delivered within three months after my decease and I
22    give devise and bequeath all other my real Estate (if any) and all the residue and
23    remainder of my Personal Estate and Effects whatsoever and wheresoever
24    unto my Great Nephew Samuel Harward Archer and the said Anne Augusta
25    Archer and Elizabeth Archer and their respective heirs executors administrators
26    and assigns according to the nature and quality thereof respectively in equal
27    shares as tenants in common Witness my hand the first day of April one
28    thousand eight hundred and forty three Anne Augusta Blake Signed
29    by the said Testatrix in the presence of us who in her presence simultane-
30    ously subscribe our names as Witnesses George H Tomlett Bookseller
31    Cottage Green Bristol Brooke Smith Sol[icito]r Bristol
32    Proved at London 8th Dec[embe]r 1847 before the Judge by the Oath of the
33    Reverend John Noble Shipton Clerk doctor in divinity the sole Executor to
34    whom admon was granted having been first sworn by commission duly to
35    administer

No comments: