Thursday, April 3, 2014

Will of John Mogridg - The National Archives PROB 11/239/282, probated 6 Feb 1653/54

The testator is John Mogridg. No mention of location is given. He lists his brothers as Anthony Mogridg, Andrew Mogridg, Peter [Mogridg] and Thomas Mogridg.

There is an Anthony mogridg baptized at Pitminster 6 Mar 1635 son of William and Gillion Mogridge (Family Search) but also a sister mentioned baptized 3 Mar 1638. Thomas Mogridge is baptized 21 Dec 1651 at Pitmister son of William Mogridge. There are several other children. Interesting but not conclusive.

Someone knowing the language of Somerset in this time period might recognize if this is possibly of the West Country of England.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 3 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/239/282
Testator: John Mogridg
Place: England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: undated, probated 6 Feb 1653/54
Condition: 17th century English, legible copy

[Margin]:
[Margin]:

1    In the name of God Amen
2    I John Mogridg being of perfect memory thankes be to Almightye God doe
3    make this my last Will and Testament First I commend my Soule into the hands
4    of Almighty God my Maker and Redeemer and my body to the earth from whence
5    it came Imprimis I give and bequeath to Anthony Mogridg my Brother one milch
6    Cowe j Stye four sheepe my Hoggsides one hare cloth one Winnsheete a payre of
7    carte wheeles all my Poulton and Poultrye my Harrowes my brasse pott my Cawdron
8    to my Brother Andrew Mogridg forty shillings to my Brother Peter five poundes
9    to my Brother Thomas Mogridg five poundes All the rest of my goods not given
10    not bequeathed I give and bequeath to Richard Dennis whome I make my whole
11    Executor to see this my Will performed fulfilled and kept all theise good vieers which
12    bequeath to be paid within one yeare after my decease John Mogridg William Gune
13    Thomas Wills
14    This will was proved att Westminster the sixth day
15    of February in the yeare of our Lord God (wording in the English Style) one thousand
16    six hundred fiftye and three before the Judges for probate of Wills and granting
17    administrations lawfully authorized by the oath of Richard Dennis Executor
18    named in the said Will to whome administration was committed he being first
19    sworne by Commission truly and faithfully to administer

No comments: