Sunday, April 13, 2014

Will of Susannah Blake, Widow, West Ham, Essex - The National Archives PROB 11/1890/194, probated 24 Feb 1838

Susannah Blake is the testatrix and the name of her husband has not been stated. Trying to find the name of the husband may be difficult as she has died before census taking begins but after Civil Registration. Susannah is likely the Susannah Blake who died March quarter 1838 at West Ham listed on Free BMD.

Susannah names her sister as Ann Oxbury. Her daughter in law is Martha Cobb. Stephen Oxbury, son of Ann, may be the Stephen Oxborrow found on the 1841 census at St Andrew Capel in Suffolk with his wife Martha 45, (he is 45 and a farmer), daughter Martha 20, daughter Jane 20, and daughter Matilda 15. All are born in Suffolk. Missing on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 Census.

Susannah Howlett is possibly the Susannah married to William Howlett on the census at St Peter South Elmham, Suffolk and she was born at Blythborough and is 44 years old on the 1851 census. On the 1861 census still living at St Peter, husband still living and Susannah born at Blyburgh.

Samuel Eade is born circa 1801 according to the 1841 census and lives at Blythburgh. He is an Agricultural labourer and living with him is his wife Mary and their four children Mary 15, Samuel 12, Elizabeth 10, Joseph 8, James 5, Emma 2 and Susan 5 months. James Eade is 40 years of age on the 1841 census at Blythburgh with wife Rachel and two daughters Maria 11 and Sarah 10.

There is a family tree on WorldConnect for this Samuel Eade born circa 1802 in Blythburgh and the son of John Eade and Elizabeth Algar and back one more generation to Phil;ip Eade and Ann Godfrey but no parents for Elizabeth Algar. Susannah says that Samuel Eade and James Eade are her nephews. The family listed in the World Connect site matches the children of Samuel on the census including ages. Is Susannah an Eade or an Algar? There is an Ann Eade but no husband listed for her.

Leabon Rout was the Licensed Victualler at Crown Inn, Church Street North, West Ham from 1820 to 1841 and then Ann Rout in 1841 and back to Leabon Rout 1845 to 1851, Ann Rout (wife) in 1851 and L Rout in 1855. These years may be continuous. The information is taken from the Post Office Directory, the Census, White’s Directory (http://pubshistory.com/EssexPubs/WestHam/crown.shtml ).

Did not find anything particularly that would let me get at the maiden name of Susannah or the forename of her husband. 

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 8 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1890/194
Testator: Susannah Blake, Widow
Place: West Ham, Essex, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 12 Mar 1836, probated 24 Feb 1838
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Susannah
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 6

1    This is the last Will and Testament of me
2    Susannah Blake of West ham in the County of Essex Widow being weak in
3    body but of a sound mind memory and understanding thanks be to Almighty
4    God for the same do publish this paper writing to be and contain my last Will and Tes-
5    tament in manner following (that is to say) First I desire to be decently buried at the
6    discretion of my Executors hereinafter named and that they do pay and discharge
7    all my just debts personal and Testamentary expences as soon as conveniently may be after my
8    interment I give and bequeath unto my Sister Ann Oxbury all my wearing apparel
9    for her own use my property consisting of household furniture and money in the Bank
10    of England which I desire may be distributed by my Executors as follows In the first
    [Page 2]
11    place I give and bequeath unto my daughter in Law Martha Cobb the sum
12    of five pounds to and for her and their own use and benefit as to all my house
13    hold Furniture plate linen and China I desire my Executors to equally divided between
14    my Nephews and Nieces hereinafter named share and share alike and as to all my
15    ready money money in the Bank of England and all other personal Estate I give
16    and bequeath the same and every part thereof unto my Executors hereinafter
17    named upon trust that they convert and turn the whole thereof into ready money
18    and upon the receipt thereof that they or the Survivors of them do (after paying
19    thereout all charges and expences attending the same equally unto and between my
20    Nephews and Nieces namely Stephen Oxbury of Camble St Andrew Suffolk Farmer
21    Susannah Howlett the Wife of [blank] Howlett of St Peters Suffolk Samuel Eade and
22    James Eade both of Blythborough in the said County of Suffolk Labourers share and
23    share alike to and for their own use and benefit And lastly I do hereby appoint
24    my two good friends Labourn Rout of West ham aforesaid Victualler and Wm Gore
25    of Stratford in the County of Essex painter joint Executors of this my Will hereby
26    revoking all former Wills by me at any time heretofore made and do publish and
27    declare this to be my last Will and Testament In Witness I the said Susannah Blake
28    the Testatrix have to this  my Will contained in one sheet of paper set my hand
29    and Seal this twelfth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight
30    hundred and thirty six The Mark and Seal of X Susannah Blake
31    Signed Sealed published and declared by the said Testatrix Susannah Blake as and for
32    her last Will and Testament in our presence who in her presence at her request and in
33    the presence of each other have subscribed our names as Witnesses hereto the same
34    having been first read over to her and who made her mark in our presence
35    Edw[ar]d Moore Illford W[ilia]m Coxhead Ilford
36    Proved at London 24th Feb 1838 before the Worshipfull John Danbery d[octo]r of
37    Laws and Surrogate by the Oaths of Leabon (in the will written Leaborn) Rout and
38    William Gore the Executors to whom admon was granted having been first Sworn
39    duly to Administer

No comments: