Saturday, April 12, 2014

Will of Thomas Blake, Surgeon, Stratford, Essex - The National Archives PROB 11/680/349, probated 15 Dec 1736

The testator, Thomas Blake, is a Surgeon. His will leaves one with the impression that he may be from Dormansland in Surrey and this is an article on Dormansland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormansland,_Surrey

British History online does not reveal any interesting details on the property mentioned by Thomas Blake in Ford Manor at Dormansland, Surrey. (Map attached: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/23762)




No further details obtained for this testator. Since he is a surgeon and there is an implication that he was in the military I did try Find My Past. The 1730s though is a bit early for military records. There is a Training Colony to the north in the map. Might pursue that notion later.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 8 Apr 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/680/349
Testator: Thomas Blake, Surgeon
Place: Stratford, Essex, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 26 Feb 1733, probated 15 Dec 1736
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Thomas
[Margin]: Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Thomas Blake of Stratford in the County of Essex Surgeon
3    being weak of body but of sound and disposing mind memory and
4    understanding and considering the uncertainty of this Transitory Life
5    Doe make publish and declare this my last Will and Testament
6    in manner following First and principally my Soul I com[m]it
7    into the hands of Almight God who gave it Trusting
8    through the Merits death passion and Mediation of my only
9    Saviour and redeemer Jesus Christ to have remission of all
10    my Sins and enjoy everlasting life my body I commit to the
11    Earth to be decently Interred at the discretion of my Executrix
12    hereinafter named and as for and concerning all my real
13    and personal Estates which it hath pleased God to Bless me
14    with I give bequeath and dispose thereof as followeth Imprimis
15    all my personal Estate consisting of ready money Goods Chattels
16    household Furniture and Effects I give devise and bequeath the
17    same unto my loving wife Anna Blake for and during her
18    natural life and after her decease my Will and intention is and
19    I doe hereby give devise and bequeath the same unto my three
20    daughters Elizabeth Anna and Martha or to such of them as
21    shall be then living and their heirs for ever Equally to be divided
22    between them share and share alike Item all those two Messuages
23    or Tenements with the Barns Stables outhouses Buildings
24    Gardens and Orchards thereunto belonging or appertaining
25    And also all that Farm Meadow pasture arable and Woodland
26    to the said Messuages or Tenements adjoining belonging or
27    Appertaining containing in the whole by Estimation Sixty four
28    Acres more or less and also all those three acres of Meadow
29    Land lying and being in Fenn Mead All which said Messuages
30    or Tenements Farm Lands and premises are part of the Mannor
31    of Ford and are situate lying and being at or near a place called
32    dormans Land in the parish of Lingfeild in the County of Surrey and
33    are now Lett by Lease to and are in the tenure or occupation
34    of Thomas Pledge husbandman his undertennants or assigns
35    all which said premises are already settled upon my said Wife
36    Anna I give devise and bequeath the same unto my said loving
37    Wife Anna for and during her natural Life and after the death
38    of my said Wife Anna my Will and Intention is And I do hereby
39    give devise and bequeath the same unto my said three daughters
40    Elizabeth Anna and Martha or to such of them as shall be then
41    living and to their heirs for Ever equally to be divided between
42    them share and share alike Item as for and concerning the
43    Lease of the house I now live in of which there is now to come
44    six year and upwards all my debts and Effects both at home and
45    abroad which shall be anyways due owing or belonging to me
46    at the time of my decease or which may be obtained for or in
47    respect of the debt due to me from the Government I give
48    devise and bequeath the same and my Will and intention is that the
49    Same (after payment of all my just debts and Funeral Expences) be
50    equally divided share and share alike between my said loving wife
51    Anna and my said three daughters Elizabeth Anna and Martha
52    so soon as conveniently may be after the same shall be got in and
53    received And I doe hereby nominate and appoint my said
54    loving wife Anna Sole Executrix of this my last Will and Testament
55    hereby revoking all former and other Wills heretofore by me made
56    And I do hereby ratify and confirm these presents to stand and be
    [Page 2]
57    as and for my only last Will and Testament In Witness whereof the
58    said Thomas Blake the Testator have to this my last Will and Testament
60    sett my hand and Seal this Twenty Sixth day of February in the year
61    of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred and thirty three and in
62    the seventh year of the Reign of our Sovereign Lord George the
63    Second by the Grace of God of Great Britain France and Ireland
64    king defender of the Faith and so forth Thomas Blake Signed
65    Sealed published and declared by the said Thomas Blake the Testator as
66    and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who have hereunto
67    subscribed our Names as Witnesses in  his presence and at his request
68    Tho[ma]s Wilson at Stratford Tho[ma]s Hagger at Stratford Fra[nci]s Curteis
69    This Will was proved at London the Fifteenth day
70    of December in the year of our Lord one Thousand Seven hundred
71    thirty six before the Worshipfull Stephen Cottrell doctor of Laws Surrogate
72    to the Right Worshipfull John Bettesworth doctor also of Laws
73    Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
74    lawfully constituted by the oath of Anna Blake widow the Relict
75    and Sole Executrix named in the said Will To whom Administration
76    was granted of all and Singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of
77    the said deceased being first Sworn duly to Administer

No comments: