Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Will of William Blake, gentleman, Bristol, Gloucestershire - The National Archives PROB 11/2175/217, probated 9 Jul 1853

William Blake, gentleman, Saint Michaels Hill, Bristol is the testator. He does not name any family in this will.

His executrix Hester Manfield Rogers is possibly Hester Rogers, house keeper to William Jones who kept a lodging house on Park Lane. She was born at Nailsea Somerset and was 45 years of age.

His witness Stephen Shallard is living at 66 Upper Church Lane St Michaels Parish and he was 55 years of age and a pattern maker on the 1851 census born at Bitten Gloucestershire.

On the 1841 Census there is one Blake family living in Saint Michael Parish, Salmon Street near Little Paul Street.

The Family Bible given away to Mary Jane Rogers would certainly be an interesting find!


Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 15 May 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2175/217
Testator:  William Blake, gentleman
Place: Parish of Saint Michael, Bristol, Gloucestershire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 2 Mar 1853, probated 9 Jul 1853
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: William
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 5

1    This is the Last Will and Testament
2    of me William Blake of Saint Michaels Hill in the Parish of Saint Michael
3    in the City of Bristol Gentleman I give and bequeath unto Elanor the wife of Wil-
4    liam Coram of Paul Street Kingsdown in the City of Bristol the sum of Ten pounds
5    and I do hereby declare that the said sum shall be paid to her for her absolute use
6    notwithstanding her coverture and that her receipt alone shall be the only effectual
7    discharge to my Executrix hereinafter mentioned for the same I give unto Joseph
8    Coram of Paul Street aforesaid Accountant the sum of Five pounds I give unto
9    Mary Ann Hodges of Saint Michaels Hill aforesaid Spinster the sum of Nineteen
10    pounds ten shillings I give unto William Green of the City of Bristol Cutler the sum
11    of Five pounds I give unto Joseph Willis of Baldwin Street in the said City of
12    Bristol the sum of Five pounds I give unto Henry Lake of the Parish of Clifton in
13    the City of Bristol the sum of Five pounds I give unto Robert Gibbs of the said
14    City Accountant the sum of Five pounds I give and bequeath my large Imperial
15    Family Bible unto Mary Jane Rogers of Saint Michaels Hill aforesaid And I do
16    hereby direct the said pecuniary Legacies to be paid to the Legatees respectively within
17    three months next after my decease And as to all the rest residue and
18    remainder of my real and personal estate and effects whatsoever and wheresoever
19    after payment of my just debts funeral and testamentary expences I give devise and
20    bequeath the same unto Hester Manfield Rogers of the Parish of Saint Michael
21    aforesaid Spinster her heirs executors administrators and assigns And I do hereby ap-
22    point the said Hester Manfield Rogers sole Executrix of this my Will In witness
23    whereof I the said William Blake have to this my Will subscribed my hand this
24    Second day of March one thousand eight hundred and fifty three William
25    Blake Signed by the said Testator William Blake and acknowledged by him
26    to be his last Will and Testament in the presence of us present at the same time who
27    in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto
28    subscribed our names as witnesses John Young Tailor St Thomas Bridge
29    Bristol Stephen Shallard Pattern Maker Upper Church Lane H__________
30    Bristol
31    Proved at London 9th July 1853 before the Judge by the oath of Hester
32    Manfield Rogers Spinster the sole Executrix to whom Admon was granted having
33    been first sworn by Comon duly to administer

No comments: