Friday, August 1, 2014

Will of John Blake, edge tool maker, Cirencester, Gloucestershire - Diocese of Bristol Wills on Ancestry, probated 28 Feb 1756

This is the only Blake will at Cirencester. Cirencester is just 4 miles from Bagendon, 5 miles from Duntisbourne Abbots, and 5 miles from Woodmancote. Interesting he spells his name Bleak. He names his sons as Thomas (eldest) and William and his daughter is Mary. All are under 21 years of age at the time of writing the will.

John Blake, 1756, will number 25, Consistory Court of Gloucester, GDR/Wills/1756(25)
Ancestry.com. Gloucestershire, England, Wills and Inventories, 1541-1858 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2014.
Original data: Gloucestershire Probate Records. Diocese of Gloucestershire, Finding Reference GDR, Wills and Inventories. Gloucestershire Archives, Gloucester, UK.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 31 Jul 2014
Source: Ancestry – Diocese of Bristol Wills
Testator:  John Blake, Edge tool maker
Place: Cirencester, Gloucestershire, England
Type of Record: Probate
Date of document: 25 Sep 1755; probated 28 Feb 1756
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

1    I John Blake of Cirencester in the County of Glouster Edgetool maker being of
2    a Sound disposing mind memory and understanding do by the permission of Almighty God
3    make my will (After having recommended my Soul into the hands of almighty and my
4    body to the earth by a decent interment I dispose of those Effects it hath been pleased
5    God in mercy to bestow on me in the following manner First I give devise and be
6    queath unto my eldest Son Thomas Blake my Clock and Clock case to bee delivered to him
7    as soon as he shall attain the age of Twenty one years and if in case he shall
8    dye befor he shall come to the age of Twenty one years then I give devise and be
9    queath my said Clock and Clock case unto my Daughter Mary Blake and I do give
10    and bequeath unto my said Daughter five Pounds of good and lawful money of great
11    Brittain as soon as She shall attain the age of Twenty one years I also give and
12    bequeath unto my Son William Blake my Silver watch and Seal to be delivered to him
13    as Soon as he shall attain the age of Twenty one years together with the Sum of five
14    Pounds which will be due to my Effects at my decease from a Club now held in Cirence
15    ster aforesaid called or known by the name of the Porters Club and if in case either
16    my said Son William or Daughter Mary should happen to dye before they come to Twenty
17    one years of age than my will is that such Legacy of Such Child or Children so dying
18    shall be come the sole property of my beloved wife Ann Blake All the rest and residue of
19    my Goods Chattels Credits and personal Estate of what kind or sort so ever not already be
20    queathed I give devise and bequeath unto my beloved Wife for the breeding up and edu
21    cating and maintaining my Children in such manner as it shall seem best unto her
22    and I do hereby make and appoint my said Wife Sole Executrix of this my Last will
23    and Testament In Wittness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and Seal the
24    Twenty fifth day of September in the year of our lord one thousand seven hundred
25    and fifty five
26    John Bleak
27    Signed sealed published and declared
28    the by Testator John Blake as and for his
29    last Will and Testament in our presence
30    who in his presence have subscribed our
31    names as Wittnesses (the word “come” being
32    first interlined
33    John Brown
34    E Limbrett
35    February the 28th 1756
36    The above named Ann Blake Relict and
37    Sole Executrix was duly sworn before me
38    Thos Carpenter Sur:
    [Page 2]
39    This Will was proved the 28th day of February 1756 before the Worshipful James Benson
40    Doctor of Laws Vicar General in Spiritual of the Right Reverend Father in God James by Divine
41    Permission Lord Bishop of the Diocese of Gloucester and of his Episcopal Consistory Official
42    principal Lawfully Constituted by Anne Blake Relect and Sole Executrix etc to whom etc
43    having first sworn well and faithfully to administer to the Said Will and also to Exhibit
44    an Inventory and render an Account and soforth

No comments: