Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Will of Richard Blake, Innholder, Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire - Diocese of Bristol Wills found on Ancestry, probated 29 Apr 1724

Richard Blake is the testator and he is an Innholder at Chipping Sodbury. He mentions his son Thomas and his wife Mary in his will below.

The portbury-hundred website (http://www.portbury-hundred.co.uk/admiralreport.htm) lists Richard as #98, born in 1668 and died in Chipping Sodbury 9 Apr 1724 at the age of 56 years. Richard married to Mary is listed as having three children: Joseph (died 18 May 1715 in Chipping Sodbury, Samuel (born 1692 and died in 1715 at Chipping Sodbury) and Richard born in 1700 and there is further information on Richard. This Richard is said to be a son of Ambrose Blake who was known to be born at Pynhills (Wiltshire) around 1620. Richard is said to have two brothers Henry and Ambrose both of whom have descendancies in the chart above. The great grandson of Richard was said to be the Richard who married Anne Augustine Harwood, daughter of Rev Charles Harwood, Dean of Chichester. There is some information on this family already blogged:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/search/label/Harwood

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/search/label/Harward

Earlier I did conclude that this line as written in the portbury-hundred website seems to be a reasonable lineage but one is left to wonder why did Richard not mention his son Richard in his will below. A couple of possibilities include he is a well established merchant in Bristol already, he has received his portion to set him up as a merchant or he has inherited from another relative and is passed by in this will. Presumably Thomas will remain with the Inn in Chipping Sodbury which his mother is inheriting. No will is listed for this Thomas.

There are other Blake wills at Chipping Sodbury. However, I can not clearly fit them into this particular lineage.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 1 Oct 2014
Source: Ancestry – Diocese of Bristol Wills
Testator:  Richard Blake, Inholder
Place: Chipping Sodbury, Gloucestershire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 16 Apr 1724; probated 29 Apr 1724
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

1    In the name of God Amen I Richard Blake
2    of Chipping Sodbury in the County of Glouc Inholder
3    being Sick in body but of sound and disposing mind
4    and memory do make my last will and Testament
5    in manner and Form following
6    Imp[rim]is I will that my debts and funeral Expences shall
7    be paid by my Executrix hereinafter named
8    Item I give and bequeath unto my beloved son Thomas
9    Blake the sum of five pounds
10    Item all the rest and residue of my Goods and Chattles
11    of what kind soever I give and bequeath unto my dearly
12    beloved wife Mary whom I do hereby constitute and
13    appoint sole and only Executrix of this my last Will and
14    Testament And lastly I do hereby revoke recall and
15    make utterly null and void all and every Former and
16    other will Legacy bequest or Executor by me at any
17    time heretofore made given appointed or named
18    ratifying and confirming this and no other to be
19    my last Will and Testam[en]t In Testament whereof I have
20    hereunto set my hand and Seal this Sixteenth day of
21    April Anno d[omi]ni 1724
22    The Mark of
23    Rich
24    Richard Blake
25    Signed Sealed published pronounced
26    and declared by the above named
27    Richard Blake as his last Will
28    and Testament in the presence of us
29    who set our hands in the pre[se]nce
30    of the Testator
31    Georg Hardwicke
32    Jno Shellard
33    Joseph Hughes

No comments: