Sunday, March 15, 2015

BIFHSGO meeting - Ulster Genealogical Society

A superb meeting for BIFHSGO and John Reid reports in his blog:

http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ca/2015/03/ulster-day-at-bifhsgo.html

We were sorry that we had an opera in the afternoon or we would have stayed all day. No Irish ancestry known for myself but just a hint that there might be a Scot Planter in the background with some Irish marriages in that line. Plus there is that elusive Blake emigrant from Ireland to Salisbury, England in the early 1400s which rather intrigues me. Given our paternal yDNA line that points to southern Ireland as being the place where this particular haplogroup is found most commonly I must say that I am becoming very intrigued with Irish research. That his name was Richard is also very interesting but does separate him possibly from the Richard Blake line which lived in the Calne Wiltshire area in a similar time frame and whose Pedigree Chart is located at the Swindon Wiltshire Record Office. I really wanted to have such information as I could not link my line to the Calne Wiltshire line at least on the male side of the Blake family. Richard Blake married Jone Blake in the early to mid 1580s and Jone was possibly from the Calne Wiltshire Blake line.

Fortunately Martin Blake went in to the Dublin Record Office during the latter part of the 1800s and transcribed all of the Blake documents that he found for Galway and some others as well in his publications on the Blake families in Ireland. They are principally Galway but now I have a renewed incentive to spend more time on his books. I would like to extract them into Legacy and produce a Galway Blake Gedcom to use and it is beginning to seem like it might just be something to do sooner rather than later. The reason that is so fortunate is of course due to the destruction of the Dublin Record Office during the Irish Civil War in 1922. Everything went up in flames especially the records of the Church of Ireland which is part of the Anglican Communion and because their records were deemed to be state records they were housed "safely" in the Dublin Record Office. Needless to say many records in Ireland now remain in the hands of the local priest which has its drawbacks but they are rapidly coming on line so that should solve the problem of looking at them from a distance.

But I remain committed at the moment to working on the Cornwall Blake family and will continue extracting the Blake records and putting them into Legacy. It is an enormous task as it turns out (and I rather expected it to be but had to find a path that worked uniquely for me and it has taken a little while) and then I need all the census and I have all the PCC wills but the OPCs in Cornwall do sometimes have the Wills on line from the Diocese which I do lack. I should say if anyone has a keen interest to work with me on the Cornwall Blake family I would welcome your interest. This is one of my two one-name studies with the Guild and I would like to leave it somewhat further ahead in terms of collection of data so that when I do deposit it at the Guild/SOG someone can pick up the study where I left off (if they are so willing) and find out even more about the Blake family. I have now placed a time limit on my Blake research and it will not extend past 2025 but will go to 2020. I tend to work on 5 year plans in genealogy and it has worked well for me thus far. 


No comments: