Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Will of Samuel Blake belonging to his Majesties ship the Boyne - The National Archives PROB 11/434, probated 12 Nov 1697

There are too many Samuel Blake baptisms to even suggest a possible person. The same is true for his executrix Elizabeth Lowen. One of the witnesses is named Samuell Rolf which is interesting as one Rolf family at Andover married into the Blake family. However I was not able to particularly relate this Samuell Rolf to that family.

HMS Boyne was an 80 gun Royal Navy second rate ship of the line launched in 1692. This ship was under the command of Captain Dursley when she helped take Gibraltar in 1704.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 3 Oct 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/434
Name of testator: Samuel Blake, Mariner
Place:  belonging to his Majesties ship the Boyne
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 2 Nov 1696, probated 12 Nov 1697

[In margin]: Tm Samuelis Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    this second day of November Anno domini 1696 I Samuell Blake mariner
3    belonging to his Majesties ship the Boyne being sick and weake in body
4    but of perfect mind and memory doe make and declare these presents to containe
5    my last Will and Testament in manner following that is to say First I bequeath my Soule to God
6    and my Body to the Earth Item all such wages sume and summes of money
7    goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever wherewith att the time of my decease
8    I shall be the possessed or which shall then belong or of right appertaine
9    unto me my debts and funeral Expences being first paid I doe give
10    devise and bequeath unto Elizabeth Lowen of Portsmouth in the
11    County of Southton and I doe hereby nominate and appoint the said
12    Elizabeth Executrix of this my will and doe revoke all other wills by me
13    formerly made In Wittness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand and
11    Seale the said second day of November Anno domini 1696 being the day
15    and yeare first above written Samuel Blake Signed sealed published
16    and declared in the presence of us John Smith Samuell Rolf Jno Hughs
17    John Sleensow
18    Probatum fuit huiusmodi Testamentum apud London
19    Coram venti et Egregi viro domini Richardo Raines Militis legum
20    doctore Curiae Prerogative Cantuariensis Magistri Custodis siue
21    Commissario legitime Constituto duodecimo die Mensis Novembris
22    Anno domini Millesimo Sexcentesimo Nonagenio Sexto Juramento Elizabetha
23    Lewen Executricis in dicto Testamento nominati Cui Commissa fuit
24    Administratio omnium et singulorum bonorum jurium et creditorum dicti defuncti
25    de bene et fideliter administrando Eadem Ad sancta dei Evangelia
26    vigore Commissionis Jurat ex[a]m[inatus]


No comments: