Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Will of John Buller Esquire of Keverall - The National Archives 11/463/333, probated 31 Mar 1701

The testator John Buller was the eldest son of Johannis-1 Buller (will probated 13 Apr 1716 and was the last one blogged) and he died of smallpox in 1701 and his son was John Francis Buller (hence son to the present testator).

It is surprising that he wrote his will in 1697 as he was in good health and relatively young. One senses a domineering father and his will already published attests to this fact. Basically he has given  his father carte blanc to raise his child and to give to his father the right to appoint guardians even whilst his wife Mary still lives. Perhaps Mary  has been somewhat independent though as the father states in his will that the Executors should watch to make sure that Mary and her children are managing and not to intervene unless they see a need.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 3 Feb 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/463/333
Testator: John Buller Esquire
Place: Keverall, Cornwall, England
Date of document: 20 Feb 1697, probated 31 Mar 1701
Read: Electronic copy images
Document quality: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: T[esta]m[ent]
[Margin]: John Buller
[Margin]: Arm:

1    In the name of God Amen
2    I John Buller the younger late of Keverall in the County of
3    Cornwall Esq[uie]r being in perfect health of body and understanding of mind
4    but with all considering the certainty of death and uncertainty of humane
5    life and hereby revokeing all former Wills by me at any time heretofore
6    made doe make and ordaine this my last Will and Testament in manner
7    and form following In the first place I comitt my soule to Almighty God
8    my Creator and Redeemer And my body to the earth which I desire to
9    have buryed in the parish church of Morvall where I was borne and where
10    my Mother and her Ancestors lie interred Item I give unto the poore of
11    the parish of Morvall Ten pounds And to the poore of the parish of St
12    Martins by Looe Ten pounds Item I give to such of my servants as shall
13    be and remaine in my service at the time of my death ten pounds apeice All
14    the rest and residue of my goods chattells and personall estate I give and
15    bequeath unto my Father John Buller of Morvall Esq[uie]r Whom I doe
16    hereby make appoint and declare Executor of this my last Will and
17    Testament hopeing and trusting that he will take care to have my debts
18    paid and satisfyed I doe likewise give devise bequeath and com[m]itt the
19    custody guardianship tuition and education of my three children unto my
20    said Father till they shall severally and respectively attaine to the age of one
21    and twenty yeares my will and meaneing alwayes being that though my
22    Father should happen to dye during the minority of my Children yet the
    [Page 2]
23    Custody and Guardianship of them shall goe be remaine and belong unto
24    the Executors or Administrators of my Father till they shall severally and
25    respectively accomplish the age of one and twenty yeares In witness whereof
26    I have hereunto sett my hand and seale the twentyeth day of February
27    in the yeare of our Lord One thousand six hundred ninety and seaven
28    1697 John Buller Signed sealed published and declared in the presence
29    of us who hereunto subscribed our names in the sight and presence of the
30    Testator W: Code Shad: Vincent Thom: Tonkin

No comments: