Saturday, March 2, 2013

Will of John Buller Coffee House Keeper at Saint Giles in the Fields, Middlesex - The National Archives PROB 11/2017/115, probated 14 May 1845

John Buller is on the 1841 census at 205 Tottenham Court Road as a Coffee House Keeper and he is 30 years of age not born in Middlesex. His wife was named Martha and she is listed as 40 years of age (remembering the rounding down/rounding up that the census takers were to do for adults on the 1841 census). She also was not born in the county of Middlesex. John Edward (son of John the testator) is seven years of age and born in Middlesex. Eliza Buller is also listed as 15 years of age and she was not born in Middlesex. They have quite a list of people with them including a waitress and a female servant. There are a number of individuals listed as well who are perhaps customers. This is too late to really discover anything about my 3x great grandfather but I do find it interesting especially that the testator is not born in Middlesex.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 18 Feb 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/2017/115
Testator: John Buller, Coffee House Keeper
Place: Saint Giles in the Fields, Middlesex, England
Date of document:  13 Apr 1843, probated 14 May 1845
Read: Electronic copy images
Document quality: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: John
[Margin]: Buller
[Margin]: 5

1    This is the last Will and Testament
2    of me John Buller of No. 205 Tottenham Court Road in the Parish
3    of Saint Giles in the Fields in the County of Middlesex coffee house
4    keeper which I make in manner and form following that is to say I
5    direct my executors and trustees hereinafter named to pay all my  just debts
6    funeral and testamentary expences and the expences of proving this
7    my will as soon as conveniently may be after my decease I give
8    and bequeath to my friends John Glazier of John Street Tottenham Court
9    Road Undertaker and M[atthew] J[ohn] Pearce of No 7 Philpot Lane London
10    Grocer the sum of two guineas each for a mourning ring I give and
11    bequeath all the rest residue and remainder of my personal estate
12    and effects of whatsoever description or determination and whereso
13    ever situate unto the said John Glazier and M[atthew] J[ohn] Pearce
14    upon trust that they will permit and suffer my wife to receive the
15    interest and profits of the same for and during the term of her natu-
16    ral life for the maintenance and support and also for the maintenance
17    and support of my son John Edward Buller and from and immediate-
18    ly after the death of my said wife then I give and bequeath the same
19    unto my said son John Edward Buller for his own absolute use and
20    benefit I authorize and empower my said trustees and executors herein
21    after named to appropriate a sum of money not exceeding one
22    hundred pounds for the purpose of apprenticing my said son to any trade
23    or business or otherwise for his advancement in life I nominate con-
24    stitute and appoint John Glazier and M[atthew] J[ohn] Pearce Executors and
25    trustees of this my will In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand
26    and seal this thirteenth day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand
27    eight hundred and forty three John Buller Signed sealed pub-
28    lished and declared by the said John Buller as and for his last will
29    and testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his req-
30    uest and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our
31    names as witnesses Henry Cotten 73 Tottenham Court Road
32    W[illia]m Hook 259 West Carter Lane Doctors Commons
33    Proved at London 14th May 1845 before the worshipful William
34    Caverley Carter Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the oaths of John
35    Glazier and Matthew John Pearse the Executors to whom admon
36    was granted having been first sworn duly to administer

No comments: