Thursday, March 28, 2013

Will of Samuel Hucks Cooper, St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey - The National Archives PROB 11/610/34

The testator is Samuel Hucks and he was a Cooper at Saint Mary Magdalen Bermondsey. His will looked like it was four pages so I was quite keen to transcribe it. However, I didn't notice initially but the fourth page was a repeat of the third page - unusual for The National Archives (and a first I believe in all the wills that I have read). I had hoped to learn something new about the Beard or Buller family in St Mary Magdalen however that was not to be. An interesting will though showing the passage of a business from father to son.

My interest stemmed from the second name of Robert Hucks Buller (younger brother to my Henry Christopher Buller). Perhaps he was someone that Mary Beard had known as a child or perhaps her mother had known her as the marriage of Henry Beard and Elizabeth Hemsley was celebrated 31 Mar 1766 at St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey.

The marriage of Mary Ann Hucks and John Homeward was celebrated at St Giles Camberwell Surrey 5 Nov 1765 (bride of St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey Surrey).

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 19 Mar 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/610/34
Testator:  Samuel Hucks, Cooper
Location: St Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey, Surrey, England
Date of document: 27 Sep 1788, probated 29 Oct 1788
Read: Electronic copy images
Document quality: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Samuel
[Margin]: Hucks

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Samuel Hucks of the parish of Saint Mary Magdalen
3    Bermondsey in the County of Surry Cooper being weak in Body
4    but of sound and disposing mind memory and understanding
5    praised be God for the same but considering the uncertainty
6    of this transitory life and for avoiding of Controversies after my
7    decease do make publish and declare these presents to be and
8    contain my last Will and Testament in manner and form
9    following that is to say I direct that all my just debts Funeral
10    Expences and the charges of proving and executing this my Will be first
11    fully paid and satisfied Then as to such worldly Estate
12    and Effects wherewith it hath pleased Almighty God to bless
13    me with I give and bequeath the same as follows To my dear
14    wife Mary Hucks the interest and dividends which shall from time to
15    time become due on the Sum of six hundred and sixty six
16    pounds thirteen shillings and four pence three per cent reduced
17    Bank annuities standing in the Books of the Governor and
18    Company of the Bank of England for and during the term of
19    her natural life and from and after the decease of my
20    said Wife I give and bequeath the Interest and Dividends thereof
21    unto my daughter Ann Mary Homeward for and during the term
22    of her natural life as and for her own sole use and benefit
23    and without being subject to the debts Control or Engagements
24    of any husband she may at any time hereafter happen to
25    marry and her Receipt alone shall be a sufficient discharge
26    to my Executors herein after named for the same and from and
27    after the Death of my said wife and the said Ann Mary
28    Homeward I direct that my Executors hereinafter named or the Survivor
30    of them or the Executors or Administrators of such Survivor
31    do and shall sell and transfer the said principal Sum of Six
32    hundred and sixty six pounds thirteen shillings and four pence
33    and the money arising by such sale to be equally divided between
34    the Children of my said daughter Ann Mary Homeward as
35    shall be living at the time of her decease in equal shares
36    and proportions and if but one Child of my said daughter shall be living then to pay
37    the whole of the Monies to arise by such Sale as aforesaid to
38    such only Child I give and bequeath unto my said Wife Mary
39    Hucks and my Son Samuel Hucks all my Stock in trade
40    implements tools and utensils thereunto belonging which I shall
41    be possessed of at the time of my decease in equal shares and
42    proportions upon condition that my said son Samuel Hucks
    [Page 2]
43    shall carry on the trade or Business of a Cooper in Copartnership
44    with my said Wife and to pay or allow my said Wife one Moiety
45    or half part of the nett profit or gain arising thereby for and
46    during the term of her natural life and from and after the decease
47    of my said Wife then I give and bequeath all such Stock in
48    trade Utensils tools and Implements which shall then be in upon
49    about and belonging to the said trade or Business unto my said Son
50    Samuel Hucks to and for his own proper use and benefit but in
51    case my said Son Samuel Hucks shall refuse to carry on the said
52    trade or business in Copartnership with my said Wife or shall
53    happen to die in the life time of my said Wife that then and in
54    either of these cases my Will and desire is that all the Stock
55    in trade Tools Implements Utensils and things thereunto belonging
56    shall be sold and disposed of and the money arising thereby
57    after payment of the partnership debts shall be equally divided
58    between my dear Wife and my said Son Samuel Hucks in equal Shares and proportions
59    if he she shall be living and refuse to carry on the said trade
60    in Copartnership with my said Wife as aforesaid or if hee shall
61    die in the life time of my said Wife then his Moiety or half
62    part is to be paid to such person or persons and in such
63    manner and form as my said Son shall by his last Will and
64    Testament in Writing direct and appoint and for want of such
65    direction and appointment then such Moiety to be paid to such
66    person or persons who shall be entitled to the same according
67    to the Laws of distribution of Intestates Estates and as to all my
68    household Goods plate Linnen China ready moneys Securities
69    for Money Book Debts and all the rest residue and remainder
70    of my Estates and Effects of what nature or kind soever or
71    wheresoever which I shall be possessed of interested in or
72    entitled unto at the time of my decease I give and bequeath
73    the same and every part and parcel thereof to my said Wife Mary
74    Hucks her Executors Administrators and Assigns to and for her
75    and their own proper use and benefit and Lastly I do hereby
76    make ordain constitute and appoint my said Wife Mary Hucks
77    and my said Son Samuel Hucks Executor and Executrix of this
78    my last Will and Testament hereby revoking and making void
79    all forms and other wills by me at any time here before made
80    declaring these presents to be and contain my last Will and
81    Testament In witness whereof I the said Testator Samuel
82    Hucks have to this my last Will and Testament contained and
83    written in two Sheets of paper set my hand and to the last
84    sheet both my hand and Seal and I have also affixed my
85    Seal to the Ribbon that fastens the said Sheets together at the
86    top this twenty seventh day of September one thousand seven
87    hundred and eighty eight Sam[ue]l Hucks Signed Sealed
88    published and declared by the said Testator Samuel Hucks
89    as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of
90    us who in his presence at his request and in the presence
91    of each other have set and subscribed our Names as witnesses
92    to the due publication thereof on the day and year above
93    written Will[ia]m Calver, W Loxley North Bucklebury London
    [Page 3]
94    This Will was proved at London the twenty
95    ninth day of October in the year of our Lord one thousand
96    seven hundred and eighty eight before the worshipful John
97    Nicholl Doctor of Laws Surrogate of the Right Worshipful
98    Sir William Wynne Knight also Doctor of Laws Master
99    Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court of Canterbury
100    lawfully constituted by the oaths of Mary Hucks Widow the
101    Relict and Samuel Hucks the Son of the deceased and
102    Executors named in the said Will to whom Administration was
103    granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of
104    the deceased having been first sworn duly to administer

No comments: