Sunday, April 7, 2013

Will of Joseph Blake, Gentleman, New Windsor Berkshire - The National Archives PROB 11/1608/17, probated 3 Sep 1818

Joseph Blake, the testator, is married to Ursula and this is perhaps the marriage of Joseph Blake and Ursula Lock 7 Mar 1791 at St George, Hanover Square (Pimlico mentioned in the will is in this parish).

Joseph mentions his brothers Benjamin of Hillingdon and William of Gosport and a deceased brother James. He also mentions three sisters unnamed at this point in the will. His brother James had a son Benjamin also a legatee in the will.

Mary Day mother of John Day is one of his sisters. I did not yet find a marriage of a Mary Blake to John Day.

An interesting tree online has a Joseph Blake marrying a Temperance Trimby 25 Jan 1777 at St Peter's Stourton Wiltshire and the groom was of Boldre, Southampton. This Temperance was buried 15 Jun 1790 at New Windsor, Berkshire. The groom was a millwright of Boldre. Interesting although it is still quite a long way from Gosport where William Blake his brother is located.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 7 Apr 2013
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1608/17
Testator:  Joseph Blake, Gentleman
Place: New Windsor, Berkshire, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 13 Aug 1818, probated 3 Sep 1818
Read: Electronic copy images
Condition: 19th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: Joseph
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: 7

1    This is the last Will and Testament of me Joseph Blake
2    of New Windsor in the County of Berks Gentleman I give and bequeath unto my dear wife Ursula
3    Blake the Interest of all and singular my principal monies standing in my Name in the Five per
4    cent Navy Annuities To hold to her and her assigns for and during the Term of her natural life
5    And from and after her decease then I give and bequeath the same and every part thereof to my
6    two Brothers Benjamin Blake of Hillingdon in the County of Middlesex Yeoman and William
7    Blake of Gosport in the County of Hants Yeoman To hold to them and the Survivor of them
8    share and share alike for and during the Term of their natural lives and from and after the
9    decease of both my said Brothers the said Benjamin Blake and William Blake then I give and
10    bequeath all and every my Principal money standing in my Name in the said Five per Cent
11    Navy Annuities equally between and amongst the Eldest Sons of my late Brother James Blake
12    the said Benjamin Blake and my late three Sisters as shall be then living To hold to them and
13    their assigns share and share alike (save and except a certain Legacy hereinafter mentioned) I give unto my
14    Ex[ecutr]ix and Ex[ecut]or hereinafter mentioned all that my Leaseholds House and premises situate at Pimlico
15    in the County of Middlesex now in the occupation of Mrs Pitt which I hold of the Right honorable Earl
16    Grosvenor To hold to them and the Survivor of them upon trust to sell and dispose of the same either by public
17    Sale or private contract and the Money thereby arising I direct to be vested in the Bank of England
18    in the said Five per Cent Navy Annuities in their joint Names for the benefit of my said wife Ursula
19    Blake for and during the Term of her natural life and from and after her decease then I give and
20    bequeath the said Money arising from such Sale to such person and persons and in the same
21    manner as I have hereinbefore disposed of my other personal property I give unto my
22    Nephew John Day Son of John and Mary Day (after the death of my said wife) the Sum of
23    two hundred pounds and as to the rest and residue of my personal Estate of what nature or kind
24    soever ready Money Securities for Money household Furniture and every other thing whatever
25    I give and bequeath unto my said dear Wife subject to the payment of all my just debts Funeral
26    and Testamentary Expences I nominate constitute and appoint my said dear Wife and my good
27    Friend William Mallison of Windsor Castle in the said County of Berks Gentleman Ex[ecutr]ix and Ex[ecut]or
28    of this my will hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made and declaring
30    this to be my last In witness whereof I the said Joseph Blake the Testator hath hereunto set
31    my hand and Seal the thirtyieth day of August in the year of our Lord one thousand eight
32    hundred and eighteen J. Blake Signed Sealed published and declared by the said
33    Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his
34    request and in the presence of each other have subscribed our Names as witness hereto Geo:
35    Hyde New Windsor Berks Taylor I B Watmore Sol[icito]r Windsor Berks
36    Proved at London 3d Sept[embe]r 1818 before the worshipful Samuel Rush Meyrick doctor of Laws and Surr[ogate] by the
37    Oaths of Ursula Blake the Relict and William Mallinson (in the will William Mallison) the Ex[ecut]ors
38    to whom adm[inistrati]on was granted being first sworn duly to adm[iniste]r

No comments: