Sunday, March 30, 2014

Will of John Blake, Esquier, Saint Margaret Westminster, Middlesex - The National Archives PROB 11/1189/132, probated 9 Mar 1790

This is the will of John Blake, husband of Mary Blake (will blogged yesterday)

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2014/03/will-of-arabella-blake-spinster-upton.html

and son of Captain John Blake of the Honourable East India Company (still have not found further information on this man), and father of Arabella Blake, spinster, whose will was blogged earlier:

http://kippeeb.blogspot.ca/2014/03/will-of-arabella-blake-spinster-upton.html

The testator is possibly the John Blake baptized 29 Aug 1713 at Saint Dunstan, Stepney and son of John Blake and possibly Mary Daberon. The supposition for this is the published registers for Westminster Abbey where a note attached to the marriage of John Blake and Mary Tymewell mentions that he was the son of Captain John Blake and Mary his wife and born at Limehouse, Middlesex 27 Aug 1713. He is then mentioned as living on Parliament Street, Westminster in his latter life. Limehouse is in the Tower Hamlets. St Dunstan Stepney is also in the Tower Hamlets.

By way of determining which John Blake is the father of the testator there is one clue in the will. He mentions the children of his nephew Blake Bradby namely James Bradby and the wife of Blake Bradby, Elizabeth Sophia. Possibly he has a sister married to unknown Bradly.

The will of John Bradby Blake is to come next and this is the brother of Arabella and son of the present testator.

I shall try to have a further look at the Honourable East India Company another time.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 29 March 2014
Source: The National Archives, PROB 11/1189/132
Testator: John Blake, Esquier
Place: Saint Margaret Westminster, Middlesex, England
Type of Record: Will
Date of document: 6 Mar 1781, probated 9 Mar 1790
Condition: 18th century English, legible copy

[Margin]: John
[Margin]: Blake
[Margin]: Esquire

1    I John Blake of Parliament
2    Street in the parish of St Margaret Westminster in the
3    County of Middlesex Esq[uie]r being of sound Mind Memory
4    and understanding do make this my last Will and Testament
5    in manner following that is to say I will and direct that
6    my Funeral Expences and all my just debts be discharged
7    paid and subject thereto I give and dispose of my Estate
8    and Effects as follows I give unto my daughter Sally
    [Page 2]
9    Hitchin Pelly wife of Henry Hinde Pelly of Upton in the
10    County of Essex Esq[uie]r the Capital Sum of two Thousand
11    pounds old South Sea annuities I give unto my daughter
12    Arabella Blake the like Capital Sum of two Thousand pounds
13    Old South Sea Annuities I give unto my daughter Mary
14    Tymewell Blake the like Capital sum of two Thousand
15    pounds Old South Sea Anuities and my Will is that the
16    said several Capital Sums of Old South Sea Annuities
17    shall be transferred to my said daughters by my Executrix
18    hereinafter named within three Calendar Months next
19    after my death but in case I shall not be possessed of
20    old South Sea Annuities sufficient to answer the said Legacies
21    Then I will and direct that my said Executrix shall by
22    and out of my personal Estate buy so much Old South
23    Sea Annuities as will make up the deficiency I give to
24    my Wife Mary Blake and the said Henry Hinde Pelly
25    the Capital Sum of One Thousand pounds three per
26    cent Bank Annuities reduced upon Trust they they or
27    the Survivor of them or the Executors or Administrators
28    of such Survivor shall transfer assign and pay the
29    same and the Interest and dividends thereof that shall
30    not be applied for the purposes hereafter mentioned
31    unto my adopted Grandson John Joseph Blake now
32    living with me and reputed to be the Son of John
33    Bradby Blake (late a Supra Cargo at Canton in
34    China deceased) by Maria de Nosorio of Macao
35    when and if he shall live to attain his age of twenty one
36    years which will be on the seventh day of January
37    1795 but in case of his death before that age then
38    I will that the said one thousand pounds three per
39    cent Bank annuities reduced or so much thereof as
40    they shall think proper for and towards the Maintenance
41    and Education of my said adopted Grandson I give to
42    James Bradby now an Infant Son of my Nephew
43    Blake Bradby deceased the Sum of one hundred pounds
44    the same to be paid by my Executrix hereafter named
45    to Elizabeth Sophia Bradby Mother of the said Infant
46    to be applied by her for the benefit of the said Child at
47    her discretion I give to Mr John Hogarth Apothecary
48    of Vigro Lane in the parish of Saint James Fifty pounds
49    or a Ring as a Mark of Family Friendship I give to
50    Mr Bateman Robson of Lincolns Inn twenty five pounds
51    and to Mr Christopher Morris of the same place the
52    like Sum of twenty five pounds I give to the Treasurer
53    of Greenwich hospital for the time being the Sum of
    [Page 3]
54    twenty five pounds to be applied to the Fund for the benefit
55    of the Seamen in that hospital All the Rest Residue and
56    Remainder of my Estate and Effects whatsoever and
57    wheresoever whether Real or personal I give devise and
58    bequeath the same and every part thereof unto my
60    said wife Mary Blake her heirs Executors Administrators
61    and Assigns to and for her and their own use and
62    benefit absolutely for ever and I do hereby constitute
63    and appoint my said wife sole Executrix of this my
64    last Will and Testament hereby revoking and declaring
65    void all former and other Wills and Codicils by me at
66    any time heretofore made and do declare this only to be
67    my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof I
68    have to this my said last Will and Testament (all of
69    my own handwriting) set my hand and Seal this sixth
70    day of March in the Year of our Lord one thousand
71    seven hundred and eighty one J Blake Signed
72    Sealed published and declared by the said Testator John
73    Blake (after the word “pounds” being interlined in the
74    fifteenth Line as and for his last Will and Testament in
75    in the presence of us who in his presence and in the
76    presence of each other have hereunto subscribed out
77    Names as Witnesses Samuel Stratt John Croft Edw[ar]d
78    Parratt
79    This Will was proved at London on the
80    ninth day of March in the year of our Lord one
81    thousand seven hundred and ninety before the worshipful
82    John Michell doctor of Laws Surrogate of the Right
83    honourable Sir William Wynne Knight doctor of
84    Laws Master Keeper or Commissary of the Prerogative
85    Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oath
86    of Mary Blake Widow the Relict of the deceased and
87    sole Executrix named in the said Will to whom Admon
88    was granted of all and singular the Goods Chattels
89    and Credits of the said deceased she having been
90    first sworn duly to administer

No comments: