Thursday, July 3, 2014

Will of James Blake of Cowley, Gloucestershire - Diocese of Bristol Wills on Ancestry, no probate shown

The testator is James Blake of Cowley. Cowley is just five miles from Duntisbourne Abbots and Up Hatherley. It would be interesting if the latter wills at Duntisbourne Abbots were written by descendants of James. He names two sons William and Thomas and five daughters unnamed. His wife was Katherine. Family Search does show a baptism for a Blake child of Thomas Blake 12 Feb 1580 at Coaley (C02755-2).

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 1 Jul 2014
Source: Ancestry – Diocese of Bristol Wills
Testator:  James Blake
Place: Cowley, Gloucestershire, England
Type of Record: Probate
Date of document: 8 Jul 1584, probated not shown
Condition: 16th century English, legible copy

1    In the name of god amen the viij th day of July in the year of o[u]r lord god one
2    thousande five hundred fourscore and four and in the xxvj year of the Raigne
3    of o[u]r Soveraigne lady Elizabeth Quene of England France and Ireland
4    defender of the Fayth etc That I James blake of the p[ar]ishe of Cowley
5    in the countie of glouc husbandman sicke of body but hole of mynde and in
6    good and p[er]fect Remembrance laude and prayse be to almyghtie god doe
7    make and ordayne my last will and testament in man[ner] and forme followyng
8    Fyrst I com[m]end my soule to almyghtie god my maker and my body to be buryed
9    in the place appointed Fyrst that my wyff kathern that she chance
10    at any tyme to mary that then my will is that my five daughters which
11    which I had by kathern my wyff shall have xx s a piece Item I
12    gyve unto my sonne will[ia]m a medley coate Item I bequeathe unto my
13    sonne Thomas a blacke coate and my best hossen Item I bequeathe unto
14    my sonne will[ia]m ij bushels of barley and one bushel of wheate
15    Item I bequeathe unto Elzabeth byshoppe one shippe
16    The rest of all my goodes moveable and unmoveable my dettes payed and my
17    Legacies p[er]formed I gyve unto kathern my wyff whom I make my sole and whole
18    Executrix of this my last will and testament Those beryinge
19    witness Robart Essington Thomas blak will[ia]m gilles

No comments: