Thursday, February 2, 2017

Will of Archibald Black otherwise Blake - The National Archives PROB 11/1024, probated 14 Oct 1776

Not sure why the surname is Black otherwise Blake as that doesn’t appear in this will. But I am not privy perhaps to all the records that are available. Only the “book” copy of the will is published by the National Archives.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 1 Feb 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/1024
Name of testator: Archibald Black otherwise Blake
Place: late of the Colony of British Guiana, outward bound in the Good Ship Queen East India Man
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 11 Dec 1774, probated 14 Oct 1776

[In margin] Archibald Black otherwise Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Archibald Black now outward Bound in the good
3    Ship Queen East India Man Capn Stanforth being in
4    bodily health and of sound and disposing mind and
5    memory and considering the perils and Dangers of the
6    Seas and other Uncertainties of this transitory life do for
7    avoiding Controversies after my Decease make publish
8    and declare this my last Will and Testament in manner
9    following (that is to say) First I recommend my Soul
10    to God that gave it and my Body I commit to the
11    Earth or Sea as it shall please God to order and as
12    for and concerning all my Worldly Estate I give
13    bequeath and dispose thereof as followeth That is
14    to say to my well beloved Friend Susanah Castel
15    Widow in the Parish of St John Wapping all such
16    wages sum and sums of Money Lands Tenements
17    Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever as shall be
18    any ways due owing or belonging unto me at the
19    time of my Decease I do give devise and bequeath
20    the same unto the said Susannah Castel her Executors
21    or Assigns And I do hereby nominate and appoint
22    the said Susanah Castel my whole and sole Executris
23    of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking
24    all former and other Wills Testaments and Deeds of
25    Gift by me at any time heretofore made And I do
26    ordain and ratify these presents to stand and be for
27    and as my only last Will and Testament In Witness
28    whereof to this my said Will I have set my hand
29    and Seal the eleventh day of December in the Year
30    of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy
31    four and in the fourteenth year of the Reign of his
32    Majesty King George the third over Great Britain Gt France
33    and Ireland Archibald Black X his mark Signed
34    Sealed published and Declared in the presence of
35    Witness Samuel Duffy Nicholas Johnson
36    This Will was proved at London the
37    fourteenth day of October in the year of our Lord one
38    thousand seven hundred and seventy six before the
39    Worshipful Andrew Coltee Ducarel Doctor of Laws and
40    Surrogate of the Right Worshipful Sir George Hay
41    Knight also Doctor of Laws Master Keeper or
42    Commissary of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury
43    lawfully constituted by the Oath of Susannah Castle
44    (called by mistake in the said will Susanah Castel) Widow the
45    sole Executrix named in the said Will to whom
46    administration was granted of all and singular
47    the Goods Chattels and Credits of the deceased she
48    having been first Sworn duly to administer

No comments: