Thursday, April 13, 2017

Will of Christopher Blake, on board the Ship Rippon - The National Archives PROB 11/725, probated 18 Apr 1743

Christopher Blake is the testator. He identifies his sister Mary Blake as his Executrix. In the probate Mary Blake is identified as Mary Garret (wife of Michael Garret).

Mary Blake married Michael Garret 10 Jun 1741 at St James Westminster, Middlesex, England.

There was a Christopher Blake, son of Henry Blake, baptized 1 Oct 1717 at St Mary Battersea, Surrey, England. The estimated year of birth for Mary was 1720 but a baptism was not located for Mary.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 23 Mar 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/725
Name of testator: Christopher Blake
Place: on board the Ship Rippon
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 12 Aug 1740, probated 18 Apr 1743

[In margin] Test: Christopher Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Christopher Blake now belonging to his Majesties Ship
3    Rippon being in bodily health and of sound and disposing
4    mind and memory and considering the perils and dangers of
5    the Seas and other uncertainties of this transitory life (do for
6    avoiding controversies after my decease) make publish and
7    declare this my last Will and Testament in manner following
8    (that is to say) First I recommend my Soul to God that gave it
9    and my body I commit to the Earth or Sea as it shall please
10    God to order and as for and concerning all my Worldly Estate
11    I give and bequeath and dispose thereof as followeth that is to say
12    all such Wages Sum and Sums of Money Lands Tenements
13    Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever as shall be any ways
14    due owing or belonging unto me at the time of my decease
15    I do give devise and bequeath the same unto my Sister
16    Mary Blake now living at St James’s in the County of Middx
17    and I do hereby nominate and appoint my said Sister
18    to be my sole Executrix of this my last Will and
19    Testament hereby revoking all former and other Wills
20    Testaments and deeds of gift by me at any time heretofore
21    made and I do ordain and ratify these presents to stand and be
22    for and as my only last Will and Testament In Witness whereof
23    to this my said Will I have set my hand and seal the twelfth
24    day of August Anno domini 1740 and in the fourteenth Year
25    of the reign of his Majesty King George the second over
26    Great Britain etc Christopher Blake his Mark Signed
27    Sealed published and declared in the presence of us Thomas
28    Jolley F Withers
29    This Will was proved at London before the
30    Worshipfull Robert Chapman doctor of Laws Surrogate of
31    the Right Worshipfull John Bettesworth also Doctor of Laws
32    Master Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court of
33    Canterbury lawfully constituted on the eighteenth day of
34    April in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred
35    and forty three by the Oath of Mary Garret otherwise Blake
36    (wife of Michael Garret) the Sister and sole Executrix named
37    in the said Will To whom administration was granted of all
38    and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said deceased
39    being first Sworn duly to administer the same

No comments: