Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Will of James Blake, Midshipman on board his Majestys Ship Ardent - The National Archives PROB 11/1261, probated 1 Jun 1795

James Blake, the testator, is perhaps the James Blake baptized 23 Mar 1756 and son of Thomas baptized at Portsea St Mary, Hampshire. James mentions his father as Thomas Blake in the will below. There are a number of Blake families in Portsea.

Other children baptized at Portsea with Thomas Blake as parent:

Thomas Blake baptized 29 Nov 1749
Mary Softly Blake baptized 16 Oct 1754
Elizabeth Blake baptized 13 Jul 1757
Elizabeth Blake baptized 27 Jan 1760
Lilly Blake baptized 19 May 1765

Thomas Blake married Jane Morlen (widow and widower) 13 May 1762 at Portsea.

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 25 Apr 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/1261
Name of testator: James Blake, Midshipman
Place: on board his Majestys Ship Ardent
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 10 Jun 1793, probated 1 Jun 1795

[In margin]: James Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I James Blake Midshipman on board his Majestys
3    Ship Ardent Robert Manners Sutton Esquire Commander
4    being in Bodily health and of sound and disposing
5    Mind and Memory and Considering the perils and
6    dangers of the Seas and other uncertainties of this
7    transitory Life do for avoiding Controversies after my
8    decease make publish and declare this my last Will
9    and Testament in manner following that is to say
10    First I recommend my Soul to God that gave it and
11    my Body I commit to the Earth or Sea as it shall
12    please God to order and as for and concerning all
13    my worldly Estate I give bequeath and dispose thereof
11    as followeth that is to say all and singular such
15    Salary Tickets Bounty Money Prize Money Shop Allowance ______ Smart Money _____
16    Goods wares Merchandizes profits Freights Rents and
17    arrears of Rents Wages Sum and Sums of Money Lands
18    Tenements Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever as shall
19    be any ways due owing or belonging unto me at the
20    time of my decease I do give devise and bequeath the
21    same unto my beloved Father Thomas Blake living at
22    the Lion of the Rainbow St Georges Square in the Town
23    of Portsea in the County of Hampshire and in default
24    thereof to my Brother John Blake of the Town and
25    County aforesaid and I do hereby nominate and I
26    appoint my father and Brother of the Town and
27    County aforesaid Executors of this my last Will and
28    Testament hereby revoking all former and other wills
29    Testaments and Deeds of Gifts by me at any time
30    heretofore made and I do ordain and ratify these
31    presents to stand and be for and as my only last
32    Will and Testament In witness whereof to this my said
33    Will I have set my hand and Seal the Tenth day
34    of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
35    hundred and Ninety three and in the thirty third year
36    of the Reign of His Majesty King George the third over
37    Great Britain etc Jas. Blake Signed Sealed published
38    and declared in the presence of R. M. Sutton Captain H
39    Quinton Master
40    This Will was proved at London the first day
41    of June in the year of our Lord one thousand seven
42    hundred and ninety five before the Right Honorable
43    Sir William Wynne Knight doctor of Laws Master
44    Keeper or Commissary of the prerogative Court of
45    Canterbury lawfully constituted by the Oaths of Thomas
46    Blake the Father and John Blake the Brother of the
47    deceased and the Executors named in the said will to
48    whom administration was granted of all and singular
49    the Goods Chattels and Credits of the said decease having
50    been first sworn by Commission duly to administer

No comments: