Friday, September 29, 2017

Will of Peter Blake, Midshipman, belonging to his Majestys Ship Newcastle - The National Archives, PROB 11/904 - probated 18 Dec 1764

Peter Blake states that he is the son of Thomas Blake of Portsea.

There was a Peter Blake baptized 23 Sep 1739 at Portsea son of Thomas Blake.

Searching for all children baptized by Thomas Blake at St Marys Portsea, Hampshire

Thomas Blake was baptized 21 Dec 1735/ buried 4 Aug 1739 at Portsea St Mary
John Blake was baptized 16 Jul 1738
Peter Blake was baptized 23 Sep 1739
Ann Blake was baptized 30 Apr 1741
George Blake was baptized 29 Aug 1742
Sarah Blake was baptized 24 Jul 1743
Eleanor Blake was baptized 25 Nov 1744
Mary Blake was baptized 25 Dec 1745
Susanna Blake was baptized 24 May 1747
Thomas Blake was baptized 29 Nov 1749; buried 5 Dec 1757 at Portsea St Mary (possibly)

There was a marriage of Thomas Blake to Mary Farren at Portsmouth 23 Dec 1733. Other marriages for Thomas Blake in this time period are quite a distance from Portsea to be likely.  

Transcriber: Elizabeth Kipp
Recorded: 28 Sep 2017
Source:  The National Archives, PROB 11/904
Name of testator: Peter Blake, Midshipman
Place:  belonging to his Majestys Ship Newcastle
Type of Record: Will
Dated: 20 Jan 1756, probated 18 Dec 1764

[In margin]: Peter Blake

1    In the Name of God Amen
2    I Peter Blake of his Majestys Ship Newcastle Midshipman
3    being of sound and disposing Mind and Memory do hereby
4    make this my last Will and Testament first and principally
5    I recommend my Soul into the hands of Almighty God hoping
6    for Remission of all my Sins through the Merits of Jesus Christ
7    my blessed Saviour and Redeemer and my Body to the Earth or
8    Seas as it shall please God and as for such Worldly Estate
9    and Effects which I shall be possessed of or intitled unto at the
10    time of my decease I give and bequeath the same as followeth
11    that is to say I give and bequeath unto my loving father
12    Thomas Blake caulker of parish Portsea all such Wages
13    Sum and Sums of Money as now is or hereafter shall be
11    due to me for my Service or otherwise on Board the
15    said Ship or any other Ship or Vessel And I do bequeath unto
16    my loving Father Thomas Blake of the Parish of Portsea in
17    the County of Southampton Caulker all Sum or Sums of Money
18    Lands or Tenements Goods Chattels and Estate whatsoever
19    as shall be any ways due owing or belonging to me at the
20    time of my decease and do hereby nominate constitute
21    and appoint my loving Father Thomas Blake aforesaid my sole
22    Executor of this my last Will and Testament and I do give
23    and bequeath unto my said Executor all the rest and residue
24    of my Estate whatsoever both real and personal hereby
25    revoking and making void all other and former Wills by
26    me heretofore made And do declare this to be my last Will
27    and Testament In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my
28    hand and Seal this twentieth day of January in the Year of
29    our Lord one thousand seven hundred and fifty six and in
30    the twenty ninth year of the reign of our Sovereign
31    Lord George the second by the Grace of God of Great
32    Britain France and Ireland King defender of the faith
33    Peter Blake Signed Sealed published and declared
34    by the said Peter Blake as and for his last Will and Testament
35    in the presence of us who have hereunto subscribed our
36    Names as Witnesses in the presence of the said Testator
37    N Lloyd James Norman Geo: Scott
38    London July 23rd 1764
39    This Will was proved at London before the
40    Right Worshipful George Hay Doctor of Laws
41    Master keeper or Commissary of the prerogative
42    Court of Canterbury lawfully constituted on the
43    eighteenth day of December in the year
44    of our Lord one thousand seven hundred
45    and sixty four by the Oath of Thomas Blake
46    the father of the said deceased
47    and sole Executor named in the said
48    Will to whom Administration was granted of
49    all and singular the Goods Chattels and Credits
50    of the said deceased having been first sworn
51    by Commission duly to administer

No comments: