Sunday, April 26, 2020

Hope springs eternal

Hope is the byword of the human race; we live on hope that another day will be better. Jesus brought hope to the world and He continues to do so. God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit is our Guide in Life and is always with us. Growing up in the shadow of the Second World War I can still remember the pain that the elders felt from that war. But as the fourth child in a family with two brothers and a sister older than me, I can also remember the fun that those siblings had in spite of hardship that the war had wrought. Life was brighter in the early 50s but there was so much to do. One of my earliest memories was of my brothers pretending to be airplanes flying as we all sat around listening to the radio. I believe it was probably the blockade of Berlin and the Americans flying relief supplies into the city. That was a touch and go situation that I do not really remember; I just remember them pretending to be airplanes flying around the living room whilst the adults listened to the radio. The adults included my parents and my paternal grandfather who lived with us. Children remember the fun things; the hard parts are tucked away in their memories but the good things remain in the foreground enabling them to help pick up the pieces and move forward when the adults are stumbling. We must adopt that adult as we move forward I suspect. This is not going to be easy to go from lock-down to economic renewal.

From the World Health Organization website, there are 2,899,830 confirmed cases of COVID-19 today (an increase of 108,844 over yesterday), there are 203,044 deaths (an increase of 7,124 over yesterday) and there are 822,676 recovered (an increase of 41,294 over yesterday). In Canada there are 45,354 confirmed cases (an increase of 1,466 over yesterday), 2,465 deaths (an increase of 163 over yesterday) and 16,425 recovered (an increase of 884 over yesterday). The numbers are increasing so much faster as the pandemic stretches into the nations of the world. The G-20 countries are reaching their peaks and moving beyond them into the plateau which hopefully will lead to the downward side of the curve. I would love to think it was coming to an end but we must prepare for the next peak. This virus will not give up that easily I suspect.

Today is a busy day; they all are. I have a couple of projects on the go other than Chromosome 3. I think that Chromosome 3 will also get some work done on it as well. Using the aggregate results of three of us I want to thoroughly look at all the matches over 15 cM for each of us (I can add in the fourth sibling as I work my way through).

Working in the garden changes my exercise routine somewhat although I tend to start off the day with my usual one hour of walking, running and calisthenics. That gets rid of the arthritis that I wake up with and was the complaint of my grandparents and then parents as they aged. I always knew I would get arthritis and so I have tried to always stay quite active through the years; especially walking.

No comments: