Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Blake families of the world

I receive many emails from Blake descendants around the world. The surname frequency in 2011 when I set up the Blake one-name study:

Entering the name Blake into a world names public profiler yields a frequency for this surname as seen below:

Country Frequency per million
Australia 546.24
Ireland 519.41
United Kingdom 475.47
New Zealand 391.15
United States 274.12
Canada 257.19
Spain 4.82
Belgium 4.59
Switzerland 3.83
Denmark 3.74

Not surprisingly the most frequent location on earth for the Blake surname is Australia and Ireland followed closely by the United Kingdom and then New Zealand and Canada (the ratio of frequency between Canada and the United States is quite interesting in that the United States population is 9x that of Canada). A high percentage of the Blake surname in Canada can be attributed to the Irish Blake families although there are also a sizeable number of descendants of British Blake families (my own included although I do know all of those descendants in my generation and we (my siblings and I are the only ones carrying the Blake surname in our generation).

I received an email mentioning an interesting site and will mention it in the Blake Newsletter due today but not likely to be produced before the end of July. I am hoping to catch up this month on my three now late newsletters.

No comments: