When I first located the will of Johanne Pencombe at East Buckland and her will is written 7 May 1563 but not probated until 23 Oct 1590, I felt strongly that she was the widow of Thomas (youngest son of John Pencombe). The executor was her eldest son William. She mentions her children Alice married to John Lock 29 Nov 1561 at North Molton, John married to Emet Hodge 1 Jul 1560 North Molton and at this time they have one daughter [baptized 5 Apr 1561 North Molton], Richard lived at Bideford (1543 Devon Lay Subsidy).and has one son at least [name is known to be Thomas] and her unnamed daughter (perhaps deceased) married to John Jasse. We were at East Buckland Parish Church (Edward and I) in 2008 and it is a beautiful Church (very old and the inside is magnificent). William in 1563 does not have any children mentioned which helps with the age of Richard his fourth son as he was not born before 1563. Since Richard (son of William) was married perhaps in the period 1598/99 since his first daughter Anne is buried 3 Mar 1598 (old style so 1599) and if married around 25 would have been born 1573 and as the fourth child (not sure where the two daughters fit into that birth order) a ten year gap between the writing of the will in 1563 and 1573 is reasonable. I haven't thought about that for a while so Richard being buried in 1648 would be perhaps 75 years of age which does work so will erase that thought from my mind.
My intent though was to see what I have on the children of Thomas and Joane Pencombe. Thomas is alive for the Lay Subsidy in 1544 living at East Buckland. Sometime between 1545 and 1563 Thomas dies. That would mean that his eldest William (possibly late twenties to early thirties years of age by 1563 but could be younger) probably had to take on a huge share of managing the property for his widowed mother and would account for his perhaps not marrying until after his younger siblings but everything fits okay timewise. What is known was Thomas was working for his father John Pencombe at North Molton on the 1524-7 Devon Lay Subsidy (this one at North Molton taken in 1524 showing Thomas as a worker). Thomas would have been in his teens then possibly so into his late thirties perhaps for the 1544 subsidy. His eldest child William born in the early to mid 1530s perhaps since there were five children in total known in this family.
Alice married to John Lock 29 Nov 1561 at North Molton in total had eight children - Richard, Mary, Margaret, Thomas, Robert, John, Jeffrey and Emote (other trees not mine initially). At this time I need to make my decision on how far to carry a female line and generally I stick to just this first generation in my thinking as their surname has changed. I may attempt to find out if there are baptisms for these children. Nothing turned up particularly with the forename John but William seems like a popular one but the will is pretty clear. I then looked at trees on Ancestry and there are several with a John Lock[e] as husband of Alice (at least six). Several of them are using the will and the parents of Alice as Thomas and Johane so possibly from my tree. I continued looking at family trees as there are a number of sites where they have been posted. Mostly I find they are using my tree and tracing back to Alice as daughter of Thomas and Johane which is reasonable given the wills so feel content with that. It is interesting that Ancestry trees tend to have my information collected but then my tree has been up there for a long time. Find My Past I have just added the two daughters to Thomas and Johane Pencombe. My Heritage thus far I have not found anyone copying me but I am not sure I have a tree going back as far on the site. I will check that out. In essence I am going to stick with simply recording the marriage and the known children for a daughter in this tree. That includes my line of course but this tree will end or begin with my mother but mostly with my grandfather John Routledge Pincombe - it will be dedicated to both of them.
Time for breakfast. I have made a good beginning for a research day and I can see that my mind is moving away from the importance of determining where John Pencombe is from although I will discuss tomorrow with Co-Pilot all of my thoughts and making sure I add in everything that I know and we will see how we compare discussing John Pencombe who arrives at North Molton with John Lord Zouche in 1486. Not quite the wording on the Visitation of Devon 1620 but sort of captures the essence of the line with no sort of vagueness attached to it which I find with the original line which states: "Pyncombe of Northmolton came there with the Lord Zouche about the beginning of H 7." I will I think let this link capture what the family likely intended it to do when it was written in 1620. But more on that tomorrow as I will develop a wording with the thinking in unison with the AI on a good paragraph to issue at the beginning of the Genealogical Table coming down from John Pencombe. I do intend to give the AI full credit with me because it is capturing the thoughts of many others along with mine as it turns out when we had a discussion and I want this book to be more than just my interpretation if I can have that happen. It does appear to be a possibility using CoPilot. The AI has given me a paragraph to use which was written by AI and satisfies the idea of being part of this book. I will check back on that before publishing it as I also mentioned that once I had created the Creative Commons License and before I release it I will give it to the AI to read. I anticipate it will likely tell me if I have failed anything in my proofreading. A marvelous new tool for sure in this great adventure of my old age.
I did write books when I was working in some jobs or was involved in writing or proofreading for a good length of time over all. Mind you they were all of a science type background but perhaps that was why George DeKay asked me to write the Profile. I am a balanced person for the most part so that I prefer to tell the story in a way that captures the essence of the life without burdening it with "should have done" or should not have done" thoughts. A purely historical view of the life of a family name (Pencombe to Pyncombe to Pincombe) from 1486 is a considerable task and time just happens to be available to me at 81 to sit and write whatever to my heart's content. I am a workaholic and this type of item just fits right into that life style. Edward both liked and disliked my workaholic tendency - he particularly liked it when he needed me to do items for him. So settled for the life we led which was quite fascinating a lot of fun through the 54.5 years of our marriage. We did not always agree and unfortunately I was dreadfully ill for part of it but together we raised our two children; saw them off into life and settled into a life style that suited us in the period of time that followed Edward retiring and then me retiring three years later. Sadness remains at the loss of Edward as his grandsons loved him dearly and now in their teens or nearly in their teen years they could have done so many things with him. It is sad really because as much as I am able to talk the language of Science which he did or tell about nature and all its gifts which he did and just be there for them which he did does not happen any longer and they do miss him. Fortunately they have a grandpapa and a step grandpapa which is filling a lot of that gap for them. Plus their daddy is special to them and for them along with all of us females but I do know having had four brothers that there is a closeness between father and son and grandfathers and their grandsons that is a special item for them. My father when his father passed away was devastated. It took him several years to really pull it together and live once again - I was only eight but I was like that noticing things about people and especially one that I loved. He always said that my coming to work for him when I was twelve made him happy although by the time I was fifteen he said you must work now for other people it will be good for you. And so I did and have worked ever since (I did go to school as well but worked every summer) until I retired except for my recovery from illness time way back in the 1970s - so long ago now.
In the case of the Pincombe book as I work back from my mother I come to my 3x great grandfather Robert Pincombe (he had seven siblings and I can bring most of them down to the early 1900s) and still further back to John Pincombe and Mary (Charly) Pincombe Robert's parents with their five children and I have most of their details coming down to the early 1900s and this will be a huge book I am beginning to realize. At John though there is a bottleneck and his only brother William and his only child both died without having any other children. That takes me back to John Pincombe and Grace Manning and they had one other child a daughter who died likely in childbirth and two of her daughters did survive but her husband was John Butcher so I only trace down the one level. Still going back William Pincombe and Mary Vicary Pincombe were John's parents and their only other child, a daughter, died in 1726 without children. That does bring us back to John baptized 19 Jan 1622 at Bishops Nympton and married Johane Blackmoore 25 Sep 1655 at Bishops Nympton and they had six children 4 boys (William mentioned above their eldest) and 2 girls. I am able to trace these families down but it continues to be a very small family coming down in this line going back then to William Pincombe (son of Richard Pincombe and Anne) but Richard had a second wife so also information on those lines are also available coming down. Richard being the son of William Pincombe and Emotte Snow (William the son of Thomas Pencombe and Johane). That is why I will be going both backwards and forwards doing this tree. I still have quite a bit to collect to bring it up to the early 1900s.
No comments:
Post a Comment