Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Edward's Ham Radio Equipment

Edward had put all of his Ham Radio Equipment together last summer and kept meaning to write or call the Ham Radio Club to donate his equipment which was mostly from the 1970s and 1980s. But he did finally leave that with us to do. Yesterday Dave picked up all of the equipment except for the table that he had built to use when he was operating the equipment. We will donate the table to Salvation Army. It is a simple table but with the half shelf built on top it could be handy to someone. I have too many tables in my basement - five actually and all served a purpose. At the end of all of this there will be just one in the laundry area. At nearly 76 years I do not need very much and my footprint needs to diminish considerably. 

I never was interested in Ham Radio and probably as a young wife I would rather he spent more time with me but I learned to accept that he liked to be on his Ham Radio a couple of hours in the late evening. Once we had children I did not notice that as much I must admit. Edward was always busy and all the hobbies he craved as a child and teenager he acquired as an adult which is good really as he had a very happy and contented life and that is important I always think. 

So day ten of full vaccination and I believe I will stop counting off those days. I think I expected more of a reaction perhaps but only in retrospect can you really note that it was a reaction rather than just a tired day or whatever. 

It is nice to see the vaccination rate rising quickly these days we will need that in the days ahead as the Delta variant permeates our life. Already worldwide it is threatening everyone. Then there is the heat wave in the Prairies and what that will do to this year's crops and the people living there as well. 

It is hard to let go of all of Edward's things to be honest. It is another part of him that is disappearing from my view.  But it was his wish and gradually I will have around me memories of Edward that keep him alive for all of us. Downsizing was in his mind certainly this last few years and he did do a lot of that. The number of boxes in his office has diminished by at least a third the last five years. I bought a box for each of our European trips and will now put everything that we bought on each trip into that box as a memory box rather than have them on the shelves as they have been. Ed used to regularly reorganize them to suit himself. He loved to remember all of those trips. The first was so different from the rest but he enjoyed it none the less but from then on he couldn't wait to do another trip once the dust had settled on all of that. 

Working away on the Manors etc list for John Pincombe. I had read through it when I purchased it about ten years ago just to see which properties were listed - it is two pages long. I had forgotten that Gatcombe was on the list and that was the property where my John Pincombe lived before he emigrated to Canada with his family in 1850 arriving in the Port of New York in early 1851. I find glimpses of Gatcombe through the years after 1605 and always a John Pincombe occupying it. It is curious really as it seems to switch about somewhat between lines. But this John Pincombe is a bit of a mystery and no one yet has clearly shown his line coming down from him. This document mentions that he has a son John Pincombe so very helpful but is he the John Pincombe who married Amy Dodderidge - possibly and that fits him into the Chart 1-2 for South Molton and North Molton. Perhaps I will be able now to work this line through as I transcribe the document.

No comments: