Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Pincombe-Pinkham Newsletter progressing

Working away on the newsletter yesterday but still quite a bit to do today. Perhaps ready by Thursday.  

I can see what Edward meant when he said I became completely swallowed up by the Newsletters when I was working on them. But then he did as well when he was working on his research. For that reason we always scheduled ourselves to go shopping in the morning at a particular time and then go to the Mall for a walk (or outside) at a particular time. Worked very well and then we always had a movie time as well or whatever. I just let him set the pace; worked well that way. I will do the same scheduling in Edward's research to get that published on his blog and work on getting what I have scanned and transcribed out there in the newsletters.

Working on the newsletter has been good for me. My interest in genealogy is somewhat different from Edward's approach. I am not really interested in finding so many cousins. I do more of a straight line back approach only deviating when I can not easily find that path and then I bring in siblings etc etc. 

My one name studies do interest me but I am in the process of winding them down as I publish all the information that I have found. I expect it will take me another five years to get all of that done. 

My biggest interest is in the y DNA of the Blake line and the mt DNA of the Buller line. Both of them are relatively speaking (probably there are several million holders of the mtDNA but considerably less of the yDNA) somewhat smaller than other groupings. Both were in the British Isles 8000 to 12000 years ago just after the last glacial maximum ended. One in the south likely around the Andover-Stonehenge plain and the other in Scotland likely in Ayrshire/Argyllshire. So quite fascinating really given the stories that my grandfather told of his Blake line always being in the Andover area but no fascinating stories for the other side unfortunately. But the Blood of the Isles database lists two individuals who match quite well to our results as being of Ayrshire. 

So gradually I will move to looking at the DNA in a very intensive fashion and my daughters find that to be equally fascinating. So  it is possible that in the future there will be some looking at this fascinating subject. The yDNA ended with my brothers in our line (and in total I had four brothers). The mtDNA ends in this generation as my mother does not have any great granddaughters who carry her mtDNA. So collecting information will ensure that this line may have disappeared but not forgotten plus there are many descendants out there who do carry this exact signature they just do not come down from my mother but there are other descendants of her female line going backwards through time. 

That was probably always going to happen that I would move away from genealogy looking at cousins (my sister does that and is doing a great job). I just do not have that strong an interest. But DNA fascinated me from the first days of Watson and Crick's double-stranded helix with the assistance of  Rosalind Franklin.

No comments: